Thread: cool, first post (hopefully)

cool, first post (hopefully)

Now that we actually have this forum, a few things:

1. I saw a suggestion for this in another thread by hot_ice: tests to see who can crack the code. For a first try, I'll do something simple:

pkeg lqd etcemkpi vjku eqfg. rquv vjku yjgp aqw hkpkuj.

2. What do you think is the best operation in a cryptographic algorithm? Not necessarily a secure one, just the one that is the most useful/effective/hard-to-reverse.

3. Just as a question, not a proposition for rules or guidlines, but what do you think are some good ideas for doing in this forum (i.e. posting interesting applicable math, cryptanalysis tests (see 1), individually and unique algorithms for the rest of us to play around with, etc.)

4. Thank you JP for finally putting this in!

TIA for all replies
    Preliminary operational tests were inconclusive (the dang thing blew up)

\"Ask not what the kernel can do for you, ask what you can do for the kernel!\"

Banned
    Woohoom Ive been waiting for this forum for a while now... Im gonna keep my eye on it

I would say you are using a monoalphabetic ciphering system, thus is appears to be vurnerable to a frequency analysis attack (Spelling?), you can find a frequency recurrence chart on my webpage, I am not bored enough right now to try it out. My webpage is http://www25.brinkster.com/cheeseball
    The chart is under the cryptography section (which sucks at the moment I will add more stuff later on).
    http://www25.brinkster.com/cheeseball

-- Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment--

Hey, good to see this forum is up and running. I'm at work, so I'll just quickly post the CRACKED code which Kezil created:

'nice job cracking this code. post this when you finish'

Greg
    \"Do you know what people are most afraid of?
    What they don\'t understand.
    When we don\'t understand, we turn to our assumptions.\"
    -- William Forrester

They've got one of those in the paper every morning, always fun. This one is shorter than the ones in the paper which would make it tougher except it's obvious from the get go that one of those four letter words would be 'code'.
    -Shkuey
    Living life one line of error free code at a time.

Well, bored at work I decided to play around with some letters and thought I come up with a code for you guys to crack. It's like Kezil's code, except a few more steps are needed to solve it - here it is:

msitsnu vi saon xjsppsanh
    ztwn emg cahyt ysit vmg cmfw ph
    previous version
    jvu cg jpv zp epu
    opv zfu hsfuuz qjttfe qgg
    (hopefully no mistakes there - I made it a few lines so that it would be more noticable for some letters/words)

Greg
    \"Do you know what people are most afraid of?
    What they don\'t understand.
    When we don\'t understand, we turn to our assumptions.\"
    -- William Forrester