Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Win2000 vs. XP

Win2000 vs. XP

I'm considering upgrading from 2000 to XP simply because I get the upgrade for free though my college, but I've heard here and there that XP has tons of new security holes that didn't exist in 2000. Does anyone know about these holes and if XP is worth the upgrade?

I have Xp pro and i like it. There are about 6-10 security patches avalible from microsoft avalible now ranging from the UPNP to IE 6. I think it is pretty much win2k and ME but with more graphics ( but i ended up just going classic and cutting most of it down) i cant really say i had any trouble with it yet. its about as good as you can get with microsoft i guess. It fun to just get in there and start digging arround running commands and such.
    Violence breeds violence
    we need a world court
    not a republican with his hands covered in oil and military hardware lecturing us on world security!

Antionline Herpetologist
    Unless you're using win2k advanaced server. In that case, don't go to XP.
    Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

It's not worth it. Doesn't matter if it's free. My friend has it and it's just alot more restrictive. Doesn't allow you to change your setting or anything as much. There are more security holes too. Otherwise these problems woulod have shown up much earlier. Just stick to 2000. There's nothing special on xp. Just more backgrounds....
    -Krakpype
    Fight the Power!

AO French Antique News Whore
    I prefer Win Xp also! Ok, XP got a few security patchs going but if you keep track of my post (Very Time Microsoft Get a Security Bulletin, I post it here) or just register to get the Security Bulletin in your mail box like me, their no prob there. Also, the automatic update program is totally useful! I love the System Restore Programs also! I personnaly enjoy it much more that Win 2K
    -Simon \"SDK\"

fwiw...i won't even look at it until sp1...but then again we're just barely finished deploying win2k...i won't consider a move to xp for several years...

and also depends on what version...home or pro...i understand home has alot of features of disabled...like you can't even join to a domain...

i guess for a home user...who'd like some more basic security (as compared to win9x...which has zero)...and you're prepared to visits xp update alot...why not...
    I used to be With IT. But then they changed what IT was. Now what I'm with isn't IT, and what's IT seems scary and weird." - Abe Simpson

Thanks. and yeah i'm running 2k pro and it's xp pro

I like win2k pro better than XP, it just feels better to me, and I didn't really need anything that was in XP that is not in Win2k.

A friend forward it to me some months ago. I think it maybe interesting for you. Because of ethic priciples after that it's impossible to do that update, I think!

http://www.redhat.com/about/opinions/xp.html

i prefer xp as well. xp isn't really more restrictive either. besides that, it is more stable. i have not really had any problems at all with. oh well.... i have been able to change everything.
    Learn like you are going to live forever, live like you are going to die tomorrow.

Propoganda