Thread: port 443 HTTPS

Post port 443 HTTPS

I dont want to sound like an idiot, but Im sure its too late for that. Anyway I set up my apache webserver and couldn't get it to work with port 80, so I set it up to run through port 443 or HTTPS. Anyway, the site loads up just fine except for the fact that a warning pops up saying that I have an invalid certificate for my site and that it might be unsafe. Im using linux, so where exactly do I find the certificates? Are there any other problems that can occur from using this port for my website? If you have the chance check out this one page site that I have up. http://skriptkittysecurity.cjb.net WARNING!!! it is pretty slow seeing as how its on 56k modem. The page should be up for the next 16 hours.
    Wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.
    --Ecclesiastes 10:19

Since you run on 443 the browser expects you are running SSL, and expects a certificate. You can get a trial certificate at www.versign.com, but that isn't gonna help you much. You still gonna get the message that it's not a valid certificate, but it might be interesting anyway (just to learn what these certificates really are). To get a real certificate you have to pay, and also need the ceritficate issuer (Verisign) to validate your site, since they're not intrested in giving out certificates to just anyone. You have to be authorized.....

Running SSL will be a little slower than using regular HTTP with normal use, and very much slower under heave loads. SSL encrypts the connection, and encrypting/decrypting on the server is gonna cost process time. But if you haven't got many visitors (like lots) on you page you're not gonna notice the difference.

I still recommend you get your web-server fixed, pop-up messages with security-alerts doesn't look good for any site.
    ---
    proactive

hmm...

If I remember correctly...

there are 2 files related to the certificate which are created when installing apache with mod_ssl. If you do not have a certificate from verisign or one of the others, and allow the install to create a temporary certificate.

one of them is server.crt (not sure of first part.. but the extension is right, Im sure)

and I can't remember the other.. but it is the key for that certificate. Maybe called <something>.pk

I will be able to find them tomorow when I get to work, and post it here..

but a

locate *.crt

or whatever search you use

will prolly point you in the right direction as far as which directories it is in..

good luck,

IchNiSan

I dont want to sound like an idiot, but Im sure its too late for that. Anyway I set up my apache webserver and couldn't get it to work with port 80, so I set it up to run through port 443 or HTTPS.
    What version of apache? How come you couldn't get apache running on port 80? What errors appeared in the log files?

Anyway, the site loads up just fine except for the fact that a warning pops up saying that I have an invalid certificate for my site and that it might be unsafe.
    This is perfectly normal if you are using the default apache temporary SSL certificates.

Im using linux, so where exactly do I find the certificates?Are there any other problems that can occur from using this port for my website?
    By default:

SSLCertificateFile /usr/local/apache/conf/ssl.crt/server.crt
    SSLCertificateKeyFile /usr/local/apache/conf/ssl.key/server.key

You should not be using the trail certificates on the actual Internet. You really need to buy some real certs.

If you have the chance check out this one page site that I have up. http://skriptkittysecurity.cjb.net WARNING!!! it is pretty slow seeing as how its on 56k modem. The page should be up for the next 16 hours
    Got a 404 error when I tried to loat the site. So I couldn't check out the page .
    OpenBSD - The proactively secure operating system.

Just checked out your site loaded fine for me even on 56 dailup it was a nice little site love the computer expert so cute but does it do letters.
    No good deed goes unpunished.