Zero times infinity

View Poll Results: A thrid(last) chance for Gbin@ryR ?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES !!!

1 16.67%
  • no i i i

5 83.33%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Zero times infinity

Zero times infinity

The rules of mathematics state that anything multiplied by 0 is 0 (since you have 0 items), and anything multiplied by infinity is infinity (since you cannot have multiples of infinity). However, these two theorectical concepts (I say that because you can't really prove that infinity exists or that anything is infinite) come into conflict when you multiply zero by infinity. Which takes precedence?

BTW, my opinion is that it equates to zero, but I'm not 100% certain on this...
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.
    Share on Google+

I put 0 as well, I'm pretty sure that it's 0, but hey, you never know.

I say that because you can't really prove that infinity exists or that anything is infinite
    Hmmm...I'm just thinking, wouldn't TIME be able to go to an infinite number? I mean when everything ends, like life ends and space just somehow blows up or spontaniously combusts (?...what that means, I dunno - sounds good ), won't time still be going? I mean say everything and everyone no longer exists, time doesn't stop. It'll just keep going...and going...and going until, well, until nothing - it'll never stop.

I dunno, maybe I'm blabbering nonsense, but that's just what came to my head.

Greg
    \"Do you know what people are most afraid of?
    What they don\'t understand.
    When we don\'t understand, we turn to our assumptions.\"
    -- William Forrester
    Share on Google+

The problem is that you cannot prove something to be infinite, you can only assume that that is the case. You can prove something isn't infinite by finding the end, but how can you prove something which goes on forever?

In any case, time is merely a theory if you think about it.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.
    Share on Google+

it equils existence.
    Share on Google+

all wrong

ok, you can't prove infintiy exists, try to prove that zero, nothing, true nothing exists.
    it doesn't else i wouldn't be here to make this post.
    time is only a human concept, when humans are gone, time will be gone.
    Share on Google+

zero is an object that discribes the concept of nothing, therefore, zero, itself, exists. You cannot have nothing, in saying something is nothing, you give it a name and properties, creating it an object. True nothing cannot exist, or at least we cannot truly preceve it
    Share on Google+

Easeupyo says that time doen't exist, I disagree. If time didn't exist then every thing would happen at the same moment (I was going to say at the same 'time' but thought better of it ) which would mean you were born, lived and died in an instant (but then without time there would be no instants would there) so you couldn't have posted the message that I just read.
    Some famous scientist (I can't remember which one) spent most of his life proving this fact by treating time as another dimension and his work layed the foundatin for much of Einsteins famous theory (you know that one involving E m and c).

P.s. I believe that zero times infinity is 0 cause no matter how much of nothing you have you still have nothing (however it's not something I'd like to prove).
    If you don\'t learn the rules nobody can accuse of cheating.
    Share on Google+

nothing doesent exist though, and there is no time, its only our way of preceving the passing of events, everything IS happening at the same "time"." Time exists only in that which gives something time.

PS ----- Einstien wasent always right.. he said nothing can go faster then light, yet we made that happen (i dont remember the link to the article, but i believe it was posted here once)
    jsut because hes always been around doesent mean her right... thats why its called THEORY and not fact
    Share on Google+

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    It's 0. That is the only answer that makes sence. As you said, you can never find infinity. So infinity is only a concept. If you have 0 fives, you still have 0. If you have 0 infities, you still have 0. If you have 5 nothings, you have nothing. If you have infinite nothings, you still have nothing. That is the only way that it even makes any sence.

Actually, we can have 0. I currently have 0 apples in my hand. That is the difference between 0 and infinity. 0 is not a void, null is a void. I don't have the character available right now, but it is the phi looking character in math. You can't have null, but you can have 0, or atleast a lack of something.

I don't think time really "exists" It is a concept, not a thing. Then again, what measurement does truly exist. There is no such thing as a mile or a kilometer. They are concepts used to allow people to just an amount of space between two objects that do exist. A gallon of water is still water, not a gallon. I can't posess a gallon on its own. It has to be a gallon of xxxxx. So xxxxx exits, gallon just tells me how much of it exists.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman
    Share on Google+

Not really saying that I disagree, but what about the passing of days and seasons. That is time. There is a passage of something everyday, whether you want to call it time, or apples or squares. It doesn't matter what you call it I guess, but something does happen. You wouldn't have the same seasons every year, with the same basic weather patterns and conditions at approximately the same time. Not to mention the position of the sun and the phases of the moon.
    Ahem, before I confuse myself, I shall stop. But I hope I have made what I am trying to say relatively clear. And by the way, I also put 0, because if you have nothing, it doesn't matter how often or how long or how many times you have it....it's still nothing.....I think
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
    Share on Google+