BIOS Problems

Thread: BIOS Problems

BIOS Problems

I have a BIOS Problem, which isn't really bugging me now, but I'm sure it will in the future, When I was Password Protyecting my BIOS, I entered my standardized PW,(Aprox. 11-16 Char.), UNfortunatly, something whent wrrong, I know it wasn't me coz I typed it perfectly, I made sure of that, but I think it can't store a PW that long, coz I can't get in any more....

How ever, I accuiered a CMOS Wiper, and I was wondering what it will do (Wipe the CMOS, D'uH) to da comp, and what I need 2 do afterwards, it may seem stupid, but has any one else had sutch an exsperiense, and what happened.??

Tanx.

- Noia
    With all the subtlety of an artillery barrage / Follow blindly, for the true path is sketchy at best. .:Bring OS X to x86!:.
    Og ingen kan minnast dei linne drag i dronningas andlet den fagre dag D landet her kvilte i heilag fred og alle hadde kjrleik elske med.

You don't need a "CMOS wiper." Just open the case, look for a jumper near the CMOS battery labeled "CMOS Reset." Set the jumper pin to the reset position for a couple of minutes, then put it back into the active position and all defaults will be restored. If you can't find a jumper pin (some REALLY old motherboards don't have one) you can remove the battery for a couple of minutes, instead.

Happy Hacking
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Warfare is the Way of deception.
    -Sun Tzu \"The Art of War\"

Whoaa there. Try two things first. Because the BIOS software utilities are sometimes dangerous and cause unknown errors.

First. Open your case and look for a "clear cmos" jumper on your mother board. Set it to clear apply the power for a few seconds. Then turn it off and set the jumper back to normal and reboot. That should take care of it.

Second. If the first one don't work. Remove the CMOS battery for about 30 to 45 minutes. (if its an ATX mb also disconect the power cord) This somes times works if your mb dosent b/u the cmos or have a dual cmos.

Only after you try this do you want to try a clear cmos software utility. Only use them as a last resort. I have used them several times. It works fine 99% of the time. That small 1% is what you have to worry about. You don't want to fry your CMOS. It can get into $$'s.

Hope this helps you.....
    The COOKIE TUX lives!!!!
    Windows NT crashed,I am the Blue Screen of Death.
    No one hears your screams.

Avoid CMOS wipers theres is always a chance that they can screw up you system and just make things worse. Go with gaxprels advice just take out the battery.
    Its not software piracy. Im just making multiple off site backups.

Banned
    The specific jumper number is J21 on almost all standard US motherboards, but dont quote me on that.... I had the same problem, instead of using a CMOS wiper search for a BIOS PW Cracker, that should help you

Thumbs up

It may depend on how old your system is,
    but this pasword cracker has worked for me.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

rcgreen and ac1dsp3ctrum are right as well. If you have to resort to a software solution. Use a password craker instead of a wiper if the reseting of the BIos don't work. They have never in my use caused any problems. They only read the BIOS they don't modify it. Wipers remove information or alter it in your BIOS which can kill defaults that are needed in the post. If they are gone you are 5cr3w3d litteraly.

Good luck....
    The COOKIE TUX lives!!!!
    Windows NT crashed,I am the Blue Screen of Death.
    No one hears your screams.