Thread: Linux Data Hiding and Recovery.

Linux Data Hiding and Recovery.

Good and interesting article .

Source: Linuxsecurity.com

Just when you thought your data was removed forever, Anton Chuvakin shows us how to recover data and even how data can surruptitiously be hidden within space on the filesystem.

The rest of the article can be found here.

very interesting.

J.
    [glowpurple]manually editing your config files can break them. If this happens, you get to keep both pieces. [/glowpurple]

Pretty Tight
    I toor\'d YOU!

Great link Micael, now I'm beginning to wonder if it might be possible to do similar things with a Windows box, because with FAT16, you can still store a small jpeg in the remaining part of a 32K block.

Hell, given the right tools, you could probably use a combination of Apache and PHP to host a site where the files were invisible to the FS itself...

Hmm... Very intriguing ideas all around.. I think I'll try them myself.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

I'm beginning to wonder if it might be possible to do similar things with a Windows box, because with FAT16, you can still store a small jpeg in the remaining part of a 32K block.
    It may be possible but I have not heard about it earlier though.. Other filesystems have the same or similiar function though. (NTFS, HPFS, *nix FS etc, etc).

Hell, given the right tools, you could probably use a combination of Apache and PHP to host a site where the files were invisible to the FS itself...
    Thats possible and it should also be possible to "hide" filespace from the FS and share it via NFS or MS filesharing etc, etc. I have seen it be done with a NT4 server and NTFS "streams" .