Thread: Linux help

Question Linux help

I'm getting ready to partition my hard drive and put linux on one of the partitions. I was wondering what would be a good* version of linux to get I? I have been wanting to put linux on my comp for some time but just never did. Well thats about it...?
    aislinn, Aria, BTBAM, chevelle, codeseven, Cky, dredg, evergreen terrace, from autumn to ashes,hopesfall, hxc, luti-kriss, nirvana, norma jean, shai hulud, this hero dies, tool, underoath, zao,

RED HAT will be a good choice and as of now the latest version is 7.2..further you get a lot of books specifically for red hat..that goes for other flavours aswell..but RED HAT is my favourite

You have never used linux before, so I suggest one of the large brands such as Mandrake, Red Hat or SuSe. These offer the easiest installs(often the hardest part of linux). They also have very good technical support. If you have any more questions concerning linux, feel free to come to irc.antionline.com where the linux pros play. Oh and Welcome to the darkside.
    Wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.
    --Ecclesiastes 10:19

AntiOnline Senior Medicine Man
    RED HAT RED HAT RED HAT
    It is better to be HATED for who you are, than LOVED for who you are NOT.

THC/IP Version 4.2

Banned
    RedHat 7.2

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    If you take the time to look at old posts, you will see this has been asked quite a bit. General overview though:

Newbie: Redhat or Suse (if you want a lot of programs in one package, use suse) Some people will recomend Mandrake, but Mandrake and Redhat are the same thing, just a different installer basically.
    Some Experience: Debian/Gnu
    Linux Guru: Slackware.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

thanks alot I was lil worried about being flamed but thanks for the help. I think I'm going w/ red hat. I don't think I will have much trouble with it, I have read all I could about it and searced around the web too, I guess I just wanted yall opinon too.
    aislinn, Aria, BTBAM, chevelle, codeseven, Cky, dredg, evergreen terrace, from autumn to ashes,hopesfall, hxc, luti-kriss, nirvana, norma jean, shai hulud, this hero dies, tool, underoath, zao,

The choice of distrubution is a matter of taste I like Debian, Slackware
    Mandrake myself if you want ease of use you might want to try lycoris

http://www.lycoris.com/products/

http://www.Mandrake.com

http://www.debian.org/

Chawley