Broadband and a "black box"

Thread: Broadband and a "black box"

Broadband and a "black box"

I found this article today while surfing through some news sites:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci...00/1870342.stm

Trend Micro is going to be selling a new applicance named Gatelock aimed at keeping users of broadband Internet access systems' "safe" from outside attacks. The box is supposed to sit between the PC and the broadband modem and protect users from viruses and attacks. This may help users who want some protection but don't have the knowledge to actually set up their systems correctly using firewalls, etc. Probably to sell around $100-$200, if the device works well it could be well worth the money for the average broadband user.

What do you guys think?
    - Maverick

Could be nice for the neophyte. There has to be some administration though, I think the story (or the product) is incomplete. What about the connection it opens to get updates? Sounds like it could be 'spoofable' (is that a word?). Anyway, to have a real opinion on the matter I'd have to test it. I love 'testing' devices.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Well sounds a good idea, but what about Zone Alarming it's one of the most straight forward packages I've ever used. Seems to have had good reviews from every where and not that expensive for what your getting.

Easy to use Gui interface, and can also still allow certain software apps to path though. Gets my 10/10 mark.

Raven

Senior since the 3 dot era
    LOL, RavensWorld, you should read the threads here about ZA...
    here are lot's of ppl really freaking out when you only mention ZA, therefor a 10/10 mark for ZA is asking to get hundreds of replies...

LOL VictorKaum. If Ravensworld doesn't mind being vulnerable then why should we freak out?
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

I perfer "tiny" firewall, but to each thier own. I think this new "black box" is a good idea for people just getting into networking or computing. Not everyine has the knoledge of configuring a firewall. I enjoyed reading the post.
    LATER-

BS, EnCE, ACE, Cellebrite 11001001's Avatar
    Just West of Beantown, though nobody from Beantown actually calls it "Beantown."
    Regardless, why pay a monthly or annual fee for something when all you'd really have to do is just buy a good firewall and install it once?
    I don't think I'm alone; I just love to "set it and forget it."
    That's Officer 11001001 to you...
    Now you see me | Now you don't
    "Relax, Bender; It was just a dream. There's no such thing as two." ~ Fry
    sometimes my computer goes down on me

Interesting to see how this black box thing pans out. But the best way to prevent hackers is to use dial up were you get disconnected every half hour. Yes with dial up hackers wonít even try to upload their trouble making programs knowing it will take hours on end.
    Its not software piracy. Iím just making multiple off site backups.