Thread: The End of Morpheus??

The End of Morpheus??

Morpheus seeks new role in music biz

By John Borland
    Staff Writer, CNET News.com
    March 13, 2002, 9:00 PM PT

StreamCast Networks, the creator of the popular Morpheus file-trading software, is set to unveil a plan Thursday that it hopes will help it become a more legitimate means of music distribution.
    The company is adding new digital rights management, or anti-copying technology, to its set of software and services. It's calling for independent artists to distribute their work through the Morpheus file-trading network, using this technology to help solicit payment for their work and guard against piracy.

"I think we are a distribution network and a way to create a level playing field" for independent artists, StreamCast CEO Steve Griffin said.

http://news.com.com/2100-1023-859678.html
    ---------------------------------------------------------

i guess it remains to be seen whether or not morpheus itself will try to charge for "services" which as we know...won't fly...what does the *new* napster have...15,000 customers?...people use this software because they get stuff for free...if they have to pay...they will just move on
    I used to be With IT. But then they changed what IT was. Now what I'm with isn't IT, and what's IT seems scary and weird." - Abe Simpson

Oh well...now's when Kazaa takes over...its just a cycle...a new one keeps coming up being better than the last anyway...
    Rob \"BoNeZ\"

When they get to big and popular that happens. All of them sell out when they get in trouble.
    d0m1n10n: 1.Control or the exercise of control; sovereignty: “The devil... has their souls in his possession, and under his dominion” (Jonathan Edwards).
    2. A territory or sphere of influence or control; a realm.
    often Dominion Abbr. Dom.

Banned
    Kazaa won't take over... FastTrack, the Dutch company that developed the P2P-protocol for both Kazaa and Morpheus, has been sold to an Australian company... Won't be free for long anymore...