exothermic vs. endothermic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: exothermic vs. endothermic

exothermic vs. endothermic

I realize this is a question you may have been asked in a college philosophy class or maybe even high school but I'd like to see how you answer this question:

Is hell exothermic or endothermic?

Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Token drunken Irish guy
    Hell dosent exist.

I think that makes it nonthermic

Senior since the 3 dot era
    LOL this endothermic / exothermic question was asked at an exam at our university in the first year BA physics... (I don't know the prof was j/k)

I'm not about to get into the thermodynamics of it... not deeply, but the first question is, does hell have any flow of matter or energy with the 'real' world? Do souls count? Is it only souls into hell? Do souls get out? Does hell have mass? If it has no mass, it can have no temperature, therefore the question makes no sense..... etc.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

Well, I don't believe in God/hell, but theoretically hell wouldn't be emitting or taking in heat, it would just be keeping it's current heat.
    Elen alcarin ar gwath halla ná engwar.

Well aside from the fact that the location 'hell' doesn't exist. The question was meant to show how creative you are in your answers. Obviously I neglected to mention that....

It doesn't matter what you believe in, it's just a question.

So? Now what do you say?
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Well, we're told that hell is full of Fire, Brimstone and burning sulphur. Now Fire can be assumed to be a wholly Exothermic reaction, unless it's some sort of eeevil anti-fire Now Brimstone is to do with molten rock, to melt rock you have to heat it, an endothermic "reaction" of sorts. (I don't think melting rocks can count as a reaction) As for burning sulphur. an entirely exothermic reaction once the activation energy requirements have been met. So it appears that the Net Thermal "Exos and endos" thingey probably breaks even... Here's a similar one, does hell give an overall increase in Entropy or a decrease?
    Rubber Bullet Kisses, Baton Courtesy, Service with a Smile - SOAD

Exothermic and endothermic I don't know about, but I read a study about a year ago and some scientists had determined that the average temperature of hell is about 1100 degrees. What I want to know is what exactly they used to come up with their information?
    Who volunteered to do research on that? Did they actually send someone to hell to test it? Or do they rely on some one who has a connection to the dead to poll people who were already in hell to get their opinions?
    Just curious....lol!
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

I would like to point out that hell is in Iceland. So it's cold and hot, no?
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.

Iceland is not hell, unless of course the most beautiful woman in the world lives in hell.....
    - Samuel Johnson