Palm Pilot Robot?

Thread: Palm Pilot Robot?

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar

Question Palm Pilot Robot?

Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone has built a robot or one of the palm pilot robots? I recently aquired from a friend his "busted" Palm. It makes a high pitched noise when batteries are put in and the screen stays blue. I'm betting that he's dropped the Palm a few times too many and damaged the LCD display part of the Palm. (found a place that sells these used for a decent price).

I was thinking of building one that would follow me (I would have a simple wireless signal being emitted from say a pager or something). It looks like it will be a good experiment in building. The only downside that I've found thus far is that one of the boards that is suggested from the http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~pprk/ where they built the first one is entirely in BASIC. I was hoping for a little more of a functional language. (maybe I'm too optimistic or dreamy about it).

Ideas? suggestions?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Neat! Where do you buy the palm-pilot robot kits? Well, I have done some programming for palm, not a whole lot, but I got the impression it's quite easy. The BASIC language they're referring to is probably on I've tried, it resembles Visual Basic. I guess they chose this for a first-time tryout because of it's ease of use. And it really is easy, just like Visual Basic, and comes with lots of tutorials and an emulator.

But if you like more functionality (and perhaps complexity ) I know there is a palm-version of the codewarrior IDL, I dowloaded I trialversion once. With it you can code C++.

Looks like the libraries and example programs on the PPPRK-page are mostly for C++, so it seems to me the easy way of making a robot is just cut n' paste.

Good luck on your project, I'm curious to find out how you're gonna deal with wireless signalling, and what components you are gonna use for this. Hope you'll keep us updated!
    ---
    proactive

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Oh I will keep everyone up to date. I might be adding it to future issues of the AO Newsletter with pictures and such. The other board, besides the Palm, is a SV203B/C with infrared ( http://www.pontech.com/ ). The Palm also has infrared. So I will just need to decide on the protocol to use (as in which one). I am thinking I do want it to be secure eventually but I think for now getting it to work will be enough.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Sounds cool good luck with you robot
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

sounds like fun, i wish you luck!
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

would u have a probelm with infrared and requiring line of sight though?