Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Say goodbye to freedom

Say goodbye to freedom

In some earlier posts on carnivore and echelon it was discussed how merely using certain key words or phrases could get your email added to a database or watch list. Some said it could do no harm because once the mail was looked at, the agency would see you were not a terrorist so this couldn’t possibly affect the innocent.

So let the madness begin:

===================================

http://www.banktech.com/story/BSTeNews/BNK20020308S0008

The USA PATRIOT Act gave financial institutions and government agencies unprecedented leeway to share information.

Following up with the details, the Treasury published its proposed regulations for information sharing in the Federal Register on Feb. 26th, which marks the start of a 30-day comment period before the groundbreaking regulations take effect. The regulations describe how information will be shared between law enforcement agencies and financial institutions, and how financial institutions and associations can share information amongst themselves.

The new rules will create significant opportunities for financial technology firms to create linkages between the customer databases spanning the financial services industry, if only for the purpose of sharing suspicions held about their customers. It's an open question as to which industry associations or networks will take the lead in developing the communications networks permitted under the new regulations.

In the meantime, leading industry participants are preparing comments for the Treasury, mindful of the additional burdens that may be asked of financial services firms. "We're pleased that there was a provision in the PATRIOT Act that encouraged information sharing, both from the government to the banks, and from one bank to another bank, because we think that will be very helpful in dealing with money laundering issues and other illegal activity," said Norm Nelson, general counsel of the New York Clearing House, a payments processor owned by several U.S. affiliates of leading commercial banks. "We hope that it doesn't get applied in such a way that it's an additional, burdensome record keeping and reporting requirement, but instead that it'll foster banks being able to find out more from the law enforcement people as to the things that they should be looking for." …

Under the proposed regulations, Federal law enforcement agencies would supply FinCEN with the names of individuals, entities or organizations "reasonably suspected based on credible evidence" of engaging in money laundering or terrorist activities

No other action would be required of the financial institution under the proposed regulations, meaning that the bank could continue to do business as usual with the suspected terrorist or suspected money launderer. However, that's not likely.

Banks would have explicit permission to use FinCEN's information to determine whether to establish or maintain an account, or to engage in a transaction. That means a bank could close an account based on FinCEN's information--as long as the former account holder wasn't told that FinCEN was involved.

===================================

So now you can be ‘black balled’ financially based upon suspicion. No due process. Don’t forget hackers are considered terrorists under the patriot act. If your emails can make you ‘reasonably suspect’ like you mail someone ‘proof of concept’ code, you can pretty much kiss a good life goodbye. Do you think sally mae’s gonna help you out?

You’ve got 30 days from Feb. 26th, to make some noise (write your rep., tell your friends) or this is just the beginning.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Banned

Unhappy

i hope canada doesnt follow the US with this. wouldnt this effect our privacy rights, one more time. also what are some of the keywords that can make somone a suspect.

damn this capitalist society.

Banned
    This is not right After September 11 the government seems to think that privacy isnt important anymore....

Not only does the Government think that privacy isn't as important, but so does the general public. I know, because I have talked to co-workers, friends and family about this issue. And they all usually say "Well if it will prevent us from being attack by terrorists, it can't be that bad".

Heh. <sarcasm>Please take a moment of silence and thank the media and politicians. </sarcasm>

Thanks Tedob for the post.
    savIRC :: The Multi-Platform IRC Client v. 1.8 [Released 9.04.02]

Well guys... I should advise you to clear out your email inboxes, pack your clothes, learn spanish, - and move to mexico...

...I'll be greeting you there...
    ...This Space For Rent.

-[WebCarnage]

All I want to say is. . .

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."-Thomas Jefferson

yea gstudios, i know what you mean, and its scarry that a lot of people i speak to in real time, don't know whay im talking about, never heard of globelization or WTO and have no idea what echelon is. looks like we might be really ****ed.

thanks for replying
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Got to love Canada our government agencies are to incompetent to effectively clap down on our rights and freedoms.
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

Don't get too excited, these changes will cross the border faster than you can say 'Useless prime minister'
    Elen alcarin ar gwath halla ná engwar.

Originally posted here by The3ntropy
    All I want to say is. . .

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."-Thomas Jefferson

i so agree with that quote and another thing, if u look at the history the gov't during war time could be a real *****.