Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mandrake 8.2 ... good or bad?

Mandrake 8.2 ... good or bad?

http://slashdot.org/articles/02/03/1....shtml?tid=106

Mandrake 8.2's coming soon... is it worth the upgrade? Mandrake's a newbie distro from what I hear... Why?

I'm looking forward to Mandrake 8.2 b/c I'm a linux newbie ...
    Search First Ask Second. www.google.com

If you're a newb with any *nix OS's, you should get Drake or RedCrap...they're good for the starter.

I am fixing to start linux as soon as I get my computer back into some kind of order and I heard that Mandrake has the best installation for those of us who have no idea of what we are doing, and also it is the easiest once we've got it. True? Also I am going to buy the distribution because I want this dual boot to be as clean as possible and downloading things tends to get messy after the 4th or 5th cd [I want all the extras ], the 'professional' distribution if like 70 bucks with the manual and the guides and such but the other is only 30. The manual is probably worth the extra 40 bucks isn't it?
    \"Welcome to the real world...it sucks. Your gunna love it.\'\"

Thumbs up

Yeah, it's worth paying extra for the book.
    You'd probably have to buy one anyway.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

Mandrake 8.2's coming soon... is it worth the upgrade? Mandrake's a newbie distro from what I hear... Why?
    Upgrade from what? From my experiences with installing Linux I've found that Mandrake is by far the easiest to install. It has a really nice GUI environment that guides you through each step. It's really hard to do anything wrong and makes dual booting really easy too. So I'd definitely recommend it for newbies.

Here's a list of the latest Linux distro's that I have installed (easiest to hardest IMO):
    - Mandrake 8.1
    - Redhat 7.2
    - Suse 7.0
    - Debian 2.2 potato
    - Slackware 8.0

As for buying the book, it's a lot of money to invest for something that you will probably find limited use for. As long as you set your partitions up right, the Mandrake install will do the rest for you. Just have a look at a few "Installing Linux" guides on the net and you should be fine .
    OpenBSD - The proactively secure operating system.

OpenLinux 2.3 was, by far, the easiest OS I ever installed with having to do partition managing.

im not a linux expert by any means but i have been useing it for a couple of years. mostly at work where i can try out new things without having to beg for money.

Mandrake isn't exatly a newbie, its been around a couple of years

Mandrake is a dream. i downloaded 8.1 to bring home and decided to redo the 8.0 box on my desk. on starting the install process it asked if i wanted to install or upgrade, this surprised me, but i choose up-grade. it gave me the option to upgrade everything, which i selected. 5 - 7 min. later it was done. man this system has come a long way.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Yeah, linux can be updated much easier and cleaner than Windows... 99% of the time DO NOT upgrade Windows... It creates a bloated OS (newbie tip).
    Search First Ask Second. www.google.com

Re: Mandrake 8.2 ... good or bad?

Originally posted here by ArmyOfOne
    http://slashdot.org/articles/02/03/1....shtml?tid=106

I'm looking forward to Mandrake 8.2 b/c I'm a linux newbie ...
    you're all right ! I started my "linux career" a few years ago with a mandrake distribution, and i'm STILL working with a mandrake distro...

I really think Mandrake is OK for all users : for the perfect newbie it has a very easy installation procedure, and then once you've improved, you can get deeper in the system and customise everey as you want...

I'm Newbies i don't understand what it's happening next after i installed the Mandrake, I can't watch movies, i can't surfing on internet my TV card doesn't respont, for details I use PixelView Tv PACK for Tv Card,My motherboard use ECS,Ram 256, Cardexpert GeForce 256 32Mb for VGA card, Internal Modem prolink 56k faxmodem (Motorolla). can anybody help me what happening on my computer please?????