Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Security expert warns of MP3 danger

I'd guess so....
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

they should create a mp3s (mp3 secure) that dosen't allow modofying or inserting of programs

In a way, I would consider this not-quite a virus. I mean, any malicious code would be interpreted code, that is, actions taken by the playing program. It's not executable, and so long as people don't design IRRESPONSIBLE programs (*cough* Microsoft *cough*), it will be a non-issue. I mean, this is just as deadly as warning about viruses in text files, or macro viruses, or viruses in pictures. So long as the interpreting software is not made with handy-dangle-standard-breaking features which are ill-thought out and un-necessary, it won't be so much of a problem.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

My borther wanted to burn a cd with a mp3 with a virus. The burner doesnt close the cd and just stops at the middle of the cd.

ur brother wanted to do what?
    aislinn, Aria, BTBAM, chevelle, codeseven, Cky, dredg, evergreen terrace, from autumn to ashes,hopesfall, hxc, luti-kriss, nirvana, norma jean, shai hulud, this hero dies, tool, underoath, zao,

To burn a music CD

now if you can do that to mp3 files ( reference to orig post ) then any file can be made into a virus.

is it really possible to that?

i dont think that the mp3player virus would be that big of a threat because most users have backups (and virus scanners to protect those hopefully) on their comp anyway. The only 2 problems that would be truly worth worrying about would be:
    1]a virus that overloads the mp3player harddrive and damages it (not sure how that would werk but its a risk)
    2]importing the mp3s to a computer without a (uptodate) virus scanner

Can anyone think of any other harmful things a virus could do?
    \"Welcome to the real world...it sucks. Your gunna love it.\'\"

I went 2 days w/o a virus scanner and used the Kazza network and my system got infected. Norton cleaned it up. I find that they put viruses in mp3s and mpegs annoying I also dislike the browser pops I'm starting to see as more common in mpegs.
    If you spend more on coffee than on IT security, you will be hacked. What\'s more, you deserve to be hacked.
    -- former White House cybersecurity adviser Richard Clarke