I've come to the crossroads. Need opinions.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I've come to the crossroads. Need opinions.

Webius Designerous Indiginous

Question I've come to the crossroads. Need opinions.

I have recently come to a crossroads in my life. I have my AA degree and am currently taking classes towards a BA in computer engineering. Although I need money and a better paying job to do so. I have alot of knowledge of computers but no certificates to prove it to anyone.
    I am planning on taking a hiatus on the engineering so I can get my certificates and thus a better paying job.

My question, What certificates should I get?

I want to get into an IT/sysadmin position with a company.

There are so many that I have heard of and now I'm confused to which is the current route that is preferred by most corps.

Any help and or insight from you guys/girls would be greatly appriciated.

thanks

x

Get CISCO certified dude, and I guess MCSE certified as well. Those look good.

hey man i am a sys admin. you will need a+ mcse and cisco . i currently am workin on a+ and mcse but i was able to prove my skill with the boss
    where do u live maybe i can give you a hand
    later dude
    mmoehring
    Ametuers get jail time Pros get jobs.

First off. What do you want to do?
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

I can breeze thru an a+ and mcse, cisco i might need to study up on.

I live in Ft. Lauderdale, FL.

I also have been studing certs and tests on cramsession.com. Are those worth reading and studing?

thanks

x

I'm not really sure. I have a passion for working with computers, thats why I want to get my comp engineering degree. But I'm at least 3 years away from getting that. In the mean time I figured I would get certs and get a job a a network sysadmin somewhere. Although I'm going to continue with my education. I'm good with win based OS's. I havn't used *nix based os/progs yet, but I'm planing to very soon. I realize I'm very limited until i learn it Any suggestions?.

My advice would be to do what I am doing...there is a way to take your MCSE courses and get done with having the MCSE certification and having MCDBA (data base administrator) certification, taking the required number of courses to get the MCSE. Does that make any sense? Try going to www.scdinc.com. That's where I'm going to school. But that's just my opinion, and there are a lot of people on here who a lot more experience than I do, too.
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Buy some books and go for the easy stuff first like A+ and CCNA. Assuming you want a system admin type job.
    Its not software piracy. Iím just making multiple off site backups.

Yes, MCSE, and A+ ... and recognize that these certs won't give you the job.

First:
    http://www.icrontic.com/index.php?pa...&articleId=170
    Then:
    http://www.certcities.com/
    Search First Ask Second. www.google.com

Thanks for al your help.. i have an idea of what i'm going to do now.

x