Thread: Stop Policeware

Stop Policeware

check this link out. I want to hear your opinions on it.

http://www.stoppoliceware.com/

- Sorry if this has been already posted.

I think that is crazy. It's like having someone watching over your back all the time. As for the burning cd's what if you want to make backups? That's completly insane and I made sure I put my signature on that petition. Say goodbye to privacy if this get's passed.

Can you say "**** the Police"?

To be blunt about it, I think it's bullshit. Privacy and freedom are gradualy being replaced with restrictions and censorship. This is becoming a totalitarian country. When is there going to be a line drawn where the government can interfere with what goes on in our lives. For anyone who would like to protect their privacy and personal files please sign this:

http://www.petitiononline.com/SSSCA/petition.html

Here's a list of some of the companies willing to sponsor this new law:
    Micro$oft, Panisonic, Compaq, Gateway, Dell, IBM, RCA, HITACHI, Sony, Sun, NEC, iomega, Sharp, Rio, Intel, & JVC

WHAT WOULD THIS LAW DO?

The law would force all new personal computers and digital home entertainment devices sold in the United States to have government-approved "policeware" built-in.

This policeware would restrict your use of copyrighted material on these devices -- including music files and CD's, video clips, DVD's, e-books, and more.
    WHO COULD GO TO JAIL?

You, if you're one of the millions of Americans who uses your computers to burn music CD's, listen to MP3's, share video files, etc. You'd face up to five years in federal prison and a $500,000 fine.

Think you'd be able to get around the law by removing the policeware from your personal computer? Think again -- anyone who defies the government by disabling or tampering with the policeware on their own computer, in the privacy of their own home or business, would also face five years in the slammer.

Since alternative operating systems like Linux and FreeBSD would most likely refuse to incorporate government policeware into their code, users of these open-source systems would also be eligible for hard time.
    For anyone interested in fighting this law, please sign the petition. Once again, the government is trying to find more ways to invade our privacy? When will it end? Here's the link to the petition: http://www.petitiononline.com/SSSCA/petition.html

Remote_Access_

I agree, Remote_Access_, if this law were to go in effect in the next few days, I would never buy a prebuilt company computer from the US, or buy a microsoft product... for the computer I would either import a computer from overseas, or... I would bulid my own. I would run Linux, and if they had to comply, I would hack the kernel and remove this worthless 5|-||7!
    Welcome to Hell , where we have served more than all of the fast food chains put together! And the number grows everyday! Stay tuned!

Since alternative operating systems like Linux and FreeBSD would most likely refuse to incorporate government policeware into their code, users of these open-source systems would also be eligible for hard time.
    That's what I had planned on doing psychosquee. Building my own box and using a *nix OS but they are trying to make it where the users of open source will be given a fine or even hard time! Land of the free huh?..

...and Justice for all

Remote_Access_

/me puts a gps monitor in his pocket, slaps a video camera on his head

looks like thats the way our lives are going - our every move and every action recorded
    "I'm a collector you know. Cave art and Egyptian artificats.........I wish you could be preserved - collected, if you please - just as my Asain cave paintings have been collected and preserved."

"Grab a recording of my brain waves, you bastard. They're on record"

-Stephen King writing as Richard Bachman The Running Man
    v_Ln

Screw policeware sypware and all that other crap out there. Why don't we just all wear one of those things they use to track bears.
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.