Lindows!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lindows!

Lindows!

In the court case between M$ and Lindows over the use of the term Lindows, M$ loses the first round:

The Register: Window v. Lindows - round one to underdog

The ruling raises some interesting questions for M$ in general:

...the Court finds that Lindows.com has met its burden of proof in rebutting the validity of the Windows trademark... Microsoft counters Lindows.com's evidence of genericness with only sparse support for its claim that Windows falls into a protectable category. Microsoft supplies minimal affirmative evidence to support its claim that Windows is non-generic
    from page 20 of the ruling ...

It's nice to see some objective rulings ...

Cheers,

BrainStop
    "To estimate the time it takes to do a task, estimate the time you think it should take, multiply by two, and change the unit of measure to the next highest unit. Thus we allocate two days for a one-hour task." -- Westheimer's Rule

i cant believe that m$ actually belive they have a case at all. how is lindows a generic term, but windows is not. come on now. that is just absurd.

AntiOnline Senior Member
    Yeah I want lindows to come out, and I think its a great idea theoretically. If M$ continues to be handed court rulings against em, and Lindows comes out, I want to get a copy to see hoe well it works. My 2 cents.
    [shadow]uraloony, Founder of Loony Services[/shadow]
    Visit us at
    [gloworange]http://www.loonyservices.com/[/gloworange]

VanEck,

Actually, M$ mainly objects to Lindows being so close to the word Windows ... they say that consumers could confuse the two .... the court just said "who cares" since Windows shouldn't be a trademark in the first place ...

Cheers,

BrainStop
    "To estimate the time it takes to do a task, estimate the time you think it should take, multiply by two, and change the unit of measure to the next highest unit. Thus we allocate two days for a one-hour task." -- Westheimer's Rule

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    Score 1 for the underdogs...let's hope Lindows can hang in there and win because undoubtedly, MS has deep pockets.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

I just want to see some sort of competition and Lindows, sadly, seems to be the only contender.

So, GO Lindows!!!
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

I posted a thread about Lindows a while ago and you can purchase a beta version of it for 99 dollars. Go here http://www.lindows.com/lindows_home_insiders.php to find out about it.
    [gloworange]\"A hacker is someone who has a passion for technology, someone who is possessed by a desire to figure out how things work.\" [/gloworange]

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    I don't think Microsoft really cares what name Lindows uses. The company that makes Lindows (whoever it is) doesn't have nearly as much money as MS. If MS can tie them up in extreamly costly court battles, so Lindows spends lots of money with no income, the either Lindows goes bankerupt...hence no lindows, or Microsoft buys them out cheap....again, no lindows.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

objective is subjective. You beleve the ruling is objective becasue you agree with it. I'm sure Bill Gates does not agree with you. I do agree with the rulining, however, just thought I would point that out.

I think Lindows is owned by Bill Gates!!! and he's just having fun