Thread: question about linux install

question about linux install

i'm going to be installing mandrake 8.1 today, and I'm wondering two things: first, how do i make sure i'm not deleting any of my current windows files when i set the partitions, and second, about how much room will i need for linux? I've got about 4 gigs free currently on a 10 gig hard drive (yes i know its old, i'm supposed to get a 75 gb 7200 rpm drive soon anyways)

thanks for your help, and sorry for the dumb questions, its my first time installing linux

Four GB free should be enough. I've an old laptop with a four GB drive, and it runs Linux quite nicely.

As for making sure that you won't harm your windows partition? First, defragment the drive and push everything to the front. Then, look through the manual to find the program that allows you to repartition your drive nondestructively. It'll end up being on the CD under the "dosutils" directory; I've just forgotten the name. *brain cramp*

's long as you read carefully through the manual, you ought not have any significant problems. And welcome to the world of Linux. You'll like it here.
    Got Root?

This user powered by Linux.

before you start it is a good idea to do a full back up of your harddrive before you start. Also you might want to read the book that came with Mandrake. When you start installing make sure you are not on the windows partition when you install. First time i installed linux i used two harddrives and just switched between them. Becarefull because if you dont know what you are doing you could wipe out your windows partition. Trust me it sucks when you do that.

Hope that helped
    [gloworange]\"A hacker is someone who has a passion for technology, someone who is possessed by a desire to figure out how things work.\" [/gloworange]

thanks for the help guys, i'll try to keep that in mind when i install. its not really a problem if i destroy my windows, but its an annoyance because it takes forever to install. thanks again.

n00bish

Ah, there the program is.

Just went to check my installation CD's.......for RedHat, there's a program called "fips," which will work, albeit in a very non-user-friendly manner.

Y'might want to try using Partition Magic, if you can get ahold of it. I hear that it's easier to use.
    Got Root?

This user powered by Linux.

Originally posted here by KublaiKhan
    Ah, there the program is.

Just went to check my installation CD's.......for RedHat, there's a program called "fips," which will work, albeit in a very non-user-friendly manner.

Y'might want to try using Partition Magic, if you can get ahold of it. I hear that it's easier to use.
    Partition is really easy to use it just doesn't like to work on NT with multiple operating systems
    [gloworange]\"A hacker is someone who has a passion for technology, someone who is possessed by a desire to figure out how things work.\" [/gloworange]

Fips is a pain in the but to use, there is a partition maker called acronis which is also a piece of duel boot software if you want it mail me at damien_harrison@hotmail.com (fits on a bootable floppy) very decent needs to be fat or fat 32 though.
    [pong][gloworange]665[/gloworange] Next door to the [glowpurple]devil[/glowpurple][/pong]

If you are installing Mandrake, you may as well install version 8.2. If you choose to upgrade to 9.0 or 9.1 in the future, you might have to do a complete reinstall. I can't remember if it is 8.0 or 8.1 that is the cutoff for the "Upgrade" option in later versions...

When I installed 8.0, 8.2, and 9.0, the Mandrake installer gave me the option to free up space on the Windows partition. The Wizard (should you choose to use it) should take away the headache of reformatting...
    I\'m back.

fips is ehhhh... partition magic is fantastic, but i'm not so sure i wanna pay that much just to use it for one install. fdisk is a blast, but can be dangerous, and won't work for resizing.

be careful with where you put LILO, as well. i've had fun with that before.
    i\'m starting to think that i\'m bound to always be the first guy on the second page of the thread.

If you have access to a copy of Mandrake 9.1 code name Bamboo, then you can use the new repartition option that also can work on NTFS file sistems (i.e. if you have W2k any ver.)

Else good look with fips.

xDrack