home networking

Thread: home networking

Question home networking

how can you network two home computers without using a NIC or cable. just a phone line?

why would u wanna do that?

U could even use the powerlines if u'd want to.. (some company even sells that ****).

It is just not very fast...
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

but how to you do it using only the phonelines? i want to avoid running a networking cable across my house

Buy Intel's product. It uses the phone lines in you r house. You are limited, I believe, to 10 Mbps. Go to Intel's site.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

There are two ways to go about this

1 If you have multiple phone lines you can set one machine as a DUN server and dial into it with your other machine.

2 Purchase Hardware based on the HomePNA protocol. Dlink has 2 low-end kits (DHN-910 and DHN-920) most of the others have them as well.

To the best of my knowledge you will not be able to do this with your modems, you will have to purchase HomePNA hardware if you want a permanent lan. Additionally if you purchase any hardware make sure it is HomePNA 2.0. The older HomePNA 1.0 protocol is very slow.

Originally posted here by KorpDeath
    Buy Intel's product. It uses the phone lines in you r house. You are limited, I believe, to 10 Mbps. Go to Intel's site.
    From what I have seen this is your best option for only two computers.

jsut run the network line, it prolly be better overall, but thats jsut my opinion.. i dont mind drilling holes and ****...

If the cable is your main concern, just go wireless. It's not really that expensive and fairly easy to setup. You mentioned not using NIC's but you're still going to have to have some sort of NIC in some form to have a network.

You can, however, use the phone lines and power lines to create a home network (you'd have to buy the kits), but I'd definitely not go this route. Your speeds would be down, but I guess that may or may not be an issue depending on what kind of work you'd be doing over the LAN. I just read something the other day about a new kit using the powerlines that works better than all others so far, but my personal opinion would be to steer away from this.
    - Maverick

i think maverick is right
    u cant avoid to use nic if u want to lan ur pc

but u can use alternative way by use your com port,
    but i dont know how to connect it by phone line