Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XP help

Question XP help

Can anybody help me , ive been forced to update to XP (stupid family ) and im finding it really restrictive and basically annoying , i was wondering if there was an equivalent to winfile/filemanager or something similar, also i was wondering what measures i should take in securing it, optimising performance and generally getting the best out of it .........thanks

There are many things to do when securing a windows machine.. The first advice I can give you is to use a good search engine and search for security information. Try www.goodle.com and try also to search AO for related information since many questions already have been answered here.

Example search: http://www.google.com/search?num=50&...winxp+security

you also may want to try http://www.xp-erience.org/ . it is an entire site dedicated to windows xp. On the site it shows info on tweaks, speed, security ..... any thing you would possibly want on win xp
    Hope this helps,
    XPaCiScOoL

[glowpurple]\"Your Smallest Flaw is my greatest Strength.\" - Me[/glowpurple]

Go to run and type gpedit.msc

Xp isn't that bad once you get use to it. I actually think it's pretty good, although, I was running ME before. I've gone from around 3 "blue screens of death" a day to zero. You can't beat that!

Even though XP comes with it's own firewall I'd still download another one. Call me paranoid but I just don't trust a Micro$oft firewall. Who knows what rules they've set????

As far as tweaking goes you cant beat the brilliant site TweakXp. They even have a similar forum set up to the one's here....

Anyway, it sounds like you're only new to XP so what I recommend is that you don't judge it untill you really know it. Don't just hate it beacause all your friends at school say it's cool to hate Micro$oft...Give it a go and think for yourself!

Yes to what the others said. And I would definitely make sure I disable the "Remote Desktop Connections" feature that you can use to allow other people to access your computer. I haven't heard of any exploits yet, but anything is possible. Also, definitely go to the Microsoft Windows Update Site. It will have the patches and other updates you need. Before you do anything else make sure you get the patch that takes care of the Universal Plug and Play vulnerability. The Windows update site should have that. Also, Steve's Gibson's website www.grc.com offers a tool to disable/reenable UPnP networking. It's called Unplug N Pray. Heh. Also you want to make sure you disable Netbios. If you need help with that PM me.
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)

AntiOnline Senior Medicine Man
    Make sure Xp is not set to open VBS and VBE with Windows Base. Change it to notepad.
    This will patch up a large security hole. Also delete, Windows Messenger. Also Don't let your family members use Outlook, or Outlook Express. Thats an open invitation for WORMS.

Also, but I am not sure, but I think you should probley run through the Internet Options and make sure everything is okay there. Dont be another VICTIM of Default Windows XP Setup.
    It is better to be HATED for who you are, than LOVED for who you are NOT.

THC/IP Version 4.2

Talking

ok,i got that unplug and play software and made sure the remote desktop connections feature was disabled,also i think my brother disabled the build in firewall and put on Norton.
    i downloaded zonealarm and sygate a while ago, but sygate seems to conflict with something as it always messes up .
    I downloaded the free version of AVG for added protection

You guys are great, thanks for all the sites

keep the suggestions comming as all are extremly appreciated
    Dr Toker in response to :
    Make sure Xp is not set to open VBS and VBE with Windows Base. Change it to notepad.
    could u explain this a little more?

thanks all

Conf1rm3d_K1ll > I normally have to restart my computer around 12 times a day so your lucky lol
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you\'re a mile away and you have their shoes.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow! 12 times!? Something's definitely wrong there. It might be time for a format c: and a fresh install?

I can leave this box (XP Pro) running 24/7, 7 days a week without a hiccup. It's also running that "Seti @ Home" screensaver constantly in the search for extrateristrial life...The only reason I run the screensaver is because I remember someone here saying "your processor has gotta earn it's keep!"....I agree. We can't just have processor's sitting around doing nothing....