Friend In Need
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Friend In Need

Question Friend In Need

My friend Tyler had gotten a hold of some hacked credit cards and checking accounts. A few days ago, actually more like a week, he ordered an $800 computer. And had it sent to his house under another name. I repeatedly told him that something is going to happen, and he says he has it under control, he practiced the fake signature and everything. But I keep telling him something might happen.

I need some help here people, he doesnt believe that something is going to happen. If someone could reply to this post and put down what might happen, and even some precautions he could take some he doesnt get in trouble. Please help me, I dont want anything to happen to him, he is my best friend.

Thanks for everything

DIGITALshimmerz ~ ~/\/\⧆|2
    http://mars.walagata.com/w/azgard/sanzo88.gifThe sharper the edge, the cleaner the wound. So, I\'ll be keeping it dull tonight for I deserve to hurt

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    Hmmm.. Lets think here.. Some precations he can take... Hmmm.... Still thinking... Maybe he should just not do it!

Credit card fraud is not a small offence. He can go to jail for a very very long time.

Tell him to look at these sites.

http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18/1029.html

qute source: http://www.cybercrimelawyer.com/page...cardfraud.html

The growth of e-commerce has also lead to a growth of internet fraud. Credit card fraud is rampant on the internet and with more sophisticated and persistent detective work prosecutions are increasing. Large and small businesses and individuals are targeted by investigators under federal and state laws. We work with investigators including US postal inspectors to avoid indictment.

The U.S. Secret Service estimates that half a billion dollars are obtained each year by operators who obtain credit card and calling card numbers from on-line databases. Additionally smaller scale operations from adult web site long distance scams to straightforward "take the money and run" shops are on the increase. We are familiar with these cases and have handled allegations of fraud for as little as $2500 to hundreds of thousands.

These cases may be brought under the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act (18 U.S.C. Sec 1030) or as Mail Fraud and Wire Fraud cases. Federal law prohibits the use of the U.S. mail or private carriers in a scheme to defraud or obtain money, property, or services by fraudulent means. Wire fraud involves acts of fraud that relate to using wire, radio, or television in a scheme to defraud or obtain property by fraudulent means. The punishment for a violation of these laws is up to five years in prison and a fine. However, if the mail fraud affects a financial institution, the punishment is up to thirty years in prison and a $1,000,000 fine.

So he will be in a jail cell protecting his ass sets from bubba for up too 30 years.

However, if the mail fraud affects a financial institution, the punishment is up to thirty years in prison and a $1,000,000 fine.
    Hmmm.. Is that worth it?

x

I dont think he got the credit cards or the checking accounts off the computer, I think they belong to regular people, just a normal checking account that belongs to some person. I showed him the above and he stills says nothing can happen. I mean cmon if you order some computer for 600-800 dollars, something is bound to happen right?

*sighs* I need to help him, why is he so closed to the possibilities...

Peace

http://mars.walagata.com/w/azgard/sanzo88.gifThe sharper the edge, the cleaner the wound. So, I\'ll be keeping it dull tonight for I deserve to hurt

Banned
    Hehe... You better tell your friend to cut his hair, Bubba likes long hair

First of all weather or not he got it off the computer it is called Identity Theft. Right now in Washington State they are making stricter laws and punishment for Identity Theft. I would assume it is the same in almost every other state. Also in Washington State anything over $200.00 is a felony for fraud.

If I was him I would call the company and tell them that the computer was delivered there by mistake and return it before he goes to jail.

- the credit card owner will tell his bank.
    - The bank will tell the FBI.
    - The FBI will trace the computer purchase to his house.
    - The bank will decide on wahat to do with him. Either thay will drop the charges and just making him return it or they'll punish him as much as the allow's them to.

oh yeah! it also depends on his age.

So, should I just tell him to decline the package when it comes via UPS, and have them return it to sender?

Or something else?

Thanks

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    have him return it to sender.. That still doesn't guarentee he'll get out of it though. But thats about the only thing he can do now. Depending on how he ordered it there will probably be an investigation on it.. They will want to know who placed the order... Tell him to get rid of ALL evidence. Hopefully he didn't order it over the comp or from his phone.... Both are easily traceable back to him. Credit Card companies loose millions of dollars a year becayse of fraud. They don't take it lightly. Good luck

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    First, tell him not to accept the package. Claim he doesn't know who sent it
    Second. make sure that he completely destroys all evidence...Not just throwing it away, but destroy it.
    Third, tell him to grow a moustache. Even if the above 2 suggestions are followed, there is still evidence. The call to order the machine can be traced back to his house. They already have the fact that he used the CC owners name. This proves identiy theft by itself, which, as stated is a federal offence. If the computer was ordered out of state, he can be in serious trouble because of interstate federal laws. Grow a moustache, because anyone in prsion without one is labeled as a "sissy," that is, unless he likes being manhandled by "bubba."
    Fourth, make sure that you deny all knowledge of this happening. If the government finds out you know (and didn't turn him in) then it becomes a conspiracy case, and you could end up in prison also. Just so you know, you will never see eachother in prison, because accomplices are never kept at the same facility.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

I just talked to him on the phone about 15 minutes ago, and he said he did it on the computer *sigh*. And he going to return to sender, but he said he didnt use a credit card, he used some checking account from some local town bank. I dont know if that changes anything, but I will tell him what you guys said.

If you have any other info, please post