New Box
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Box

New Box

Hello all,
    Just curious, I am going to get a new home desktop computer. I know a lot about programming, software, security, etc. but I was looking around for a new box and realized that I do not know that much about hardware. So, I am turning to AO. My Q is this, I work a lot with various languages, c++/c, ASM, some VB, I build and compile programs on my computer, and I also run graphics creation and editing programs. {Not many games at all any more} But anyway, I was wondering, what type of new box should I get? I just got a bonus from work and got some extra cash, so I am looking for pure performance. What are your opinions?

{I am not looking for statistics, testing, and other BS that is all in favor of one brand, I just want how they actually work.}

I'd look for a fast processor w/the most memory you can afford. I would also get a very large HD. I once had a 486DX2 and found the best performace enhancer was doubling the memory (at the time I went 16 megs to 32).

Cheers,
    -D
    If you spend more on coffee than on IT security, you will be hacked. What\'s more, you deserve to be hacked.
    -- former White House cybersecurity adviser Richard Clarke

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    Here is a rundown of a box i'm in the process of building. Its for pure performance.

Asus P4S333 Motherboard

Pentium 4 478 pin chip (your choice)

1 gig DDR-333 (pc2700) ram

An AGP nVidia GeForce 4 TI graphics board (will be available sometime march or april)

Any ATX form factor mid-full tower w/ 300-watt power supply even though w/ asus boards you don't need it.

This would be the barebones of the system.

Add a Hard drive, 3.5 IN drive, CD-RW drive, DVD-ROM, Sound card (i'm getting a 5.1 channel ), keyboard, mouse, modem, etc...

And of course your favorite OS.

Lemme know if I forgot anything

x

For programming, 700mhz is plenty, for graphics I would get the following:
    Athlon XP 1500 or greater
    512MB memory (DDR Prefferably)
    Geforce 3 or ATI Radeon 8500 (All in wonder if possible) ...

How much are you looking to spend?
    Search First Ask Second. www.google.com

Like I said before army, $ is not a prob right now for me. As long as its less than 5 G.

But, I was looking to buy a gateway premade, p4 2.2 Ghz L2 cache 512k, 2048 Mb RDRam Pc800, { Then using my monitor I got now, and not buying DVD burner, or CD burner } Should be about 3G. Anyone want to comment on this idea?

I would build it myself. I wouldn't buy from the big makers. Sorry. You can learn to put a decent computer together in a night.....
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Korp,
    How would you build it? What would you put in it? Please explain. . .

Well I'd go down to my local computer store and hand pick all the parts.

It's your choice, If you like AMD pick an XP processor. Intel I don't like because they are more brute force. They waste CPU cycles.

DDR RAM is a must ,probably 512/1G for you. Pick a case you like, make sure it has plenty of power for all your HDDs and DVD writer...

Before I really get into it , do you know how to insert cards into a comp? Have you ever worked on a comp before?
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Yes I have worked on a computer before,
    I am a sysadmin for a small business, I have installed several networking cards, on my own comp I have installed a 5.1 surround sound card, a geforce graphics accelerator, etc etc. I do know enough, I just do not really know that much about the new processors, the RDRam, and all of that other stuff. I know how to use what I have really well, and how to install it physically and through software. So yes, I have worked on a comp before, please do not hold out on info for fear of not knowing, I would rather know and not understand before I am witheld and do not have the chance to understand. Okay, get it?

Well then it all comes down to cost. Get out your lil' pad of paper and do the math. Try to get a nice, solid mainboard. I'd recommend Iwill, Tyan, Asus. those are good.

What more would like to know?
    - Samuel Johnson