Need help with network

Thread: Need help with network

Lightbulb Need help with network

I need help with connecting. I have two computers in the house. My fathers and my own. We go through a cable modem, and I have an ethernet card in my computer. A cat 5 cable goes from it to my father's cable modem. I have no trouble connecting through the internet and surfing, but when it comes to windows media, morpheus, flashfxp, or realplayer it can't connect. I don't normally connect through a proxy. Please help me. Thx.

Very simple. Get you a four port router. Room for expansion, built in switch (in most models), built in security through NAT addressing (add a personal firewall for more protection).

Go to:
    Linsys
    http://www.linksys.com/Products/group.asp?grid=23

or SMC
    http://www.smc.com/index.cfm?action=home_page
    The COOKIE TUX lives!!!!
    Windows NT crashed,I am the Blue Screen of Death.
    No one hears your screams.

what

Ok, can u put that in very simple terms. thx

one more thing

It worked a while ago, and only software changes have been made. Nothing was changed, and it worked earlier. I don't know changes though. Can I set those apps up to go through a proxy?

Get a four port router/switch combo. Make sure both computers have a 10/100 nic card in them. Connect the cable modem to the router. Then connect computer 1 via the nic card and a cat 5 cable to post 1 on the router, then computer 2 to port 2. Then you have it. This is just a basic explination of how it works. Instructions come with the router and your computer (I asume is Windows) has the networking software already installed or it it will ask fot the CD to install it.

Hope this helps.
    The COOKIE TUX lives!!!!

thank for your help. Know of any cheap one (price range?) Can you please explain one more thing. How come internet explorer and access diver will connect no problem but when it comes to media players and morpheus it won't work. Are there any software chages I can make instead. Because it worked a while before and now it doesn't. Thanks again.

The internet connection sharing software in Windows sucks. So I assume you are using some type of proxy software to share your connection. So you have to setup each program to use the proxy. You have to enter the internal (gateway) ip of the machine that access's the internet for it to function properly from another computer linked to it. It should be under the properties or settings tab in each peace of software. If you get a router you won't have to do this. All the machines will function independant of one another.

As for cheap routers and hardware. Linksys is very reasonable. You can get a four port cable/dsl router from them for about $75-$99 US. Another nick will run you from $19-$30 US. Cat cable varies in cost by size.
    The COOKIE TUX lives!!!!

Senior since the 3 dot era
    Can you please explain one more thing. How come internet explorer and access diver will connect no problem but when it comes to media players and morpheus it won't work.
    Very simple... they use different ports... like {PP}Apocalypse said, you need to setup some things to allow connections, if you only use some webproxy you will only be able to surf the web. You need to enter the gateway IP (the internal IP on the computer connected to the cable modem), in Windoze this is done in the network, default gateway tab. You can also enter the DNS servers (add those given by your ISP) in the network tab.

www.pricewatch.com

search for "4 port router"
    Around $50 for a cheap one.
    Search First Ask Second. www.google.com

buying a switch or hub is one solution, but it won't necicarily 'fix the problem'. You will still need to configure the media players to correctly connect.

Has this exact config ever worked in the past? Or have you reciently re-arranged? Is yours or your Dads comp new? Reload OS or media players?

{Internet}---[cablemodem]----[Dads PC]---[your pc]
    Is this correct?

If the picture is correct, & all questions answer (Y-N-N-N) to the above, is your Dad running NAT software?

I'm thinking he "may have" blocked your media ports. Now... do not get mad... it's only a thought. It may not be happening.

keep us posted.