Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cissp

Cissp

In your guys opinion is the cissp actually worth going for?
    I have the option to go and atempt the test but i am uneasy as to if its actually worth my time and effort? Do you guys have any recomendations for security certifications?

I'd do it. Can't have too many certs.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

me...i dunno...

but this guy didn't think so...

A Certified Waste of Time

there are some comments at the bottom from people who disagreed...
    I used to be With IT. But then they changed what IT was. Now what I'm with isn't IT, and what's IT seems scary and weird." - Abe Simpson

yah....zigar i saw that report.....kind of where my unsureness comes into play...but korp is right cant have to many certs....
    I toor\'d YOU!

My point is simple. You might learn something new. That's worth it, isn't it? Having yet another peice of paper saying you are proficient in something isn't ever a bad thing...you know?
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Absolutly Korp, I agree 150%.
    I toor\'d YOU!

"Can't have too many certs." True but keep in mind that you need some experience to go with your certs.
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

I have to agree with the author of that SF article, CISSP is just a waste of time, I've been thru their tests and I could simply become a CISSP, but it isn't worth it, it doesn't concentrate on anything specific and the amount of *new* knowledge in it could be gathered from daily PC mags.. Also, their curriculum is pretty gay, it doesn't show you the road to anything specific, like they got a Q that says..

The most important issue with distributed computing is...
    a)security
    2)sync
    3)...
    4)...

The correct answer <from their point of view> was a while in real life, there is no actual answer..

If my IDS blocks an intruder by adding an on-the-fly rule to the FW using SAMP, then the FWs don't sync, I would endup with nothing. He was blocked by 1 FW while he could pass thru another one simply.. :\

Nah, I wont take a CISSP, not specific, and doesn't actually deserve it, go get a real cert like the one of those GNU Linux certs or an ISS cert or -of course- a CCSE

O, did I note that ppl that carry the CISSP think that they r Gods? they have to much self-confidence like *ahem* those that carry the MCSE....

etsh911

u should go for that it will really help u in future.
    cos what i feel is if u have good basic foundation then only u can built a good building on that

rajdeep
    ^!^RAJ^!^

Another option for a security cert would be the SSCP by (ISC)². They are the CISSP makers but the SSCP is geared towards the technical side of things rather then the management side, as the CISSP is. I took the beta for the SSCP and with only four years in the computer field I faired alright. SSCP covers 7 domains, where the CISSP has ten domains. Now don't let this mis-lead you because the 9 of the CISSP domains are condensed into the 7 of the domains in theSSCP.