Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anonymizer.com and sygate

anonymizer.com and sygate

I was wondering what you experts make of this. At www.anonymizer.com you can test through a pull down menu "what data am i revealing right now", for a security test. I'v tried this with ZA, Sygate, and Notron-internet security 2002, all with identical results; It was able to detect my ip, my internal host name, what browser i am using as well as what plug-ins i have, and also some of the programs on my computer, and sometimes the last website i visited. What can someone do with this information. Also, the security check at symantec.com said i wasn't vulnerable to some of this information being released.

I am currently testing different firewalls to see which one to purchase, or use free. I don't want to start a new "what is the best firewall" thread, (although browsing the other threads has provided valuable info). but i have one question about sygate and sygate pro....It is the only one that fails the downloadable leak test from ww.grc.com.Do I have a wrong setting on it?

What version are you testing. If it ain't version 5 then I'd throw it back. As for those tests, some of their results are dubious.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

the only way to hide your ip address is to use a proxy.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Tedob: That isn't the only way...you could use a shell, or wingate, or something similar to it.

You need proxomitron.....You can download it here. Enjoy!

Originally posted here by KorpDeath
    What version are you testing. If it ain't version 5 then I'd throw it back. As for those tests, some of their results are dubious.

I am testing the latest version of all the firewalls...version 5 of sygate and ZA pro and norton...i just haven't downloaded tiny yet.

You should try NeoWatch also. I've heard good things about it.

As for the other results I'll have to wait til' I get home to try that. I haven't found any test Sygate won't pass, though.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

I like NeoWatch and Wingate. Nice GUI and good results.
    Search First Ask Second. www.google.com

It seems that everyone's missing the point? Or maybe it's just Tedbo1 and myself that are way off? A firewall won't hide your IP....

As Tedbo1 already said....

Originally posted here by Tedob1
    the only way to hide your ip address is to use a proxy.

I have to agree with that and would recommend proxomitron, as already stated....

Am I missing something?

Nope. I just didn't feel like addressing that particular part of the question. That's all. Didn't miss a thing.
    - Samuel Johnson