~*~*Hackers Deface Thousands Of Domains*~*~
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ~*~*Hackers Deface Thousands Of Domains*~*~

~*~*Hackers Deface Thousands Of Domains*~*~

I ran across this article while scanning the web for newz. Thought it was pretty interesting. Anyone want to discuss it?

http://www.newsbytes.com/news/02/175343.html
    "Never give in-never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in to convictions of honor and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy!" - Winston Churchill

its more like script kiddys deface websites not HACKERS!!!

Sheesh.........those who deface websites are really quite lame.

Though the article did mention that the hosting company used IIS.......just another reason to use Apache, I suppose......

It would be interesting, though, to figure out how often IIS domains were cracked, as opposed to Apache or other domains. Adjusted for total number of servers, naturally.
    Got Root?

This user powered by Linux.

Its sounds like those kids are back at it.......

Hmm.. i guess Mr. Admin 4got to double check..

I have formed a little theory on the matter. I think that there are more security bugs in IIS than in Apache because it's not developed as open cource, but this is just part of the reason.
    THe major reason, I think, is that traditionally, unix has required quite some knowledge to admin. With this comes the security thinking that makes admins look out for patches and bug reports and the like.

Any idiot can configure IIS and so doesn't necessarily have the security thinking. I mean, it is still possible to find IIS that are vulnerable to ::$DATA and that was like three years ago the report came.

I recon quite an amount of the admins for different IIS-servers out there doesn't care much for service packs, patches or in the case of Microsoft - pathces for the patches.

Just my two cents though

Cheers
    Mankan

\"The purpose of abstraction is not to be vague, but to create a new semantic level in which one can be absolutely precise.\"
    - Edsger Dijkstra

Originally posted here by KublaiKhan
    It would be interesting, though, to figure out how often IIS domains were cracked, as opposed to Apache or other domains. Adjusted for total number of servers, naturally.
    Here's a part of the statistic, Kublai:

The Alldas defacement archive counted by OS:

Alldas OS statistics

Cheers,

BrainStop
    "To estimate the time it takes to do a task, estimate the time you think it should take, multiply by two, and change the unit of measure to the next highest unit. Thus we allocate two days for a one-hour task." -- Westheimer's Rule

Hrm........kinda what I expected........

17927 time(s)
    * a "Windows"
    * Host has been defaced, which is 59.767 percent of all archived defacements

Followed by Linux, with 20%, and "Unknown", with 9%.......

Interesting, though, that Novell is at the bottom of the list. 'wonder what they've done right, that they don't get cracked? Or is it just that nobody uses it much?
    Got Root?

This user powered by Linux.

Thatīs some sad reading BrainStop
    But I can help to wonder if any of the companies in the article asked on what platform the servers used. Or for that matter if they asked Verisign if it was them in person that took care of the servers.
    I do think that the company shouldīve informed their customers about this but itīs a two way street and asking donīt cost anything.
    Dear Santa, I liked the mp3 player I got but next christmas I want a SA-7 surface to air missile

Yet they still call the defacers "hackers"! ARRRRGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SSJVegeta-Sei

Pierce me with steel, rend me with claw and fang; as I die, a legend is born for another generation to follow.
    An\' it harm none, do as ye will. - Wiccan Rede