Thread: University diploma spammer

University diploma spammer

Hello all,
    Has anyone had any experience in dealing with this spammer?
    I have actually called the number that they advertise and asked them to remove me from their mailing list. Have been receiving email from them for 2 years.
    I have looked at the email header and I can only trace it back to the email relay they are using.
    Is there any tool out there or ather way to find out through which ISP they are coming through and ultimately track the originating IP?
    I would love to take these guys down.

See below the hotmail header message from the spammer:

From registration@future_career_services Wed, 20 Mar 2002 21:34:56 -0800
    Received: from [202.103.218.172] by hotmail.com (3.2) with ESMTP id MHotMailBE62B21E003B4136E80DCA67DAAC0CB3255; Wed, 20 Mar 2002 21:33:59 -0800
    Message-ID: <YL0lp2MhphGpGAgRk4n_qUe7Hs@TxeYpW8seM0u0X.>
    From: registration@future_career_services <registration@future_career_services>
    Bcc:
    To:<keithcrazy@hotmail.com>, <keithcrain@hotmail.com>, <keithcr@hotmail.com>, <keithcp@hotmail.com>, <keithcowboy@hotmail.com>
    Subject: Bachelors, masters, MBA, and doctorate (PhD)
    Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 00:30:58 -0400 (EDT)
    MIME-Version: 1.0
    Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII"
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Thanks.
    Keith

Y'know, you could always just block the address........a lot easier and simpler to do than to try and trace them.
    Got Root?

This user powered by Linux.

I only found their e-mail relayer once... It was a DSL server for all I know... Other than that, I know nothing... BTW, if there is an underscore ('_') in the domain name (part after the '@'), it is an illegal address I think... To the best of my knowledge, you can't register a domain with that, so if you need a fake e-mail address to give these spammers, and underscore or two should work...

Have you noticed how at first they e-mail this to billions of people, then the list narrows down? Now only Tim_* gets this, about 20 of them... Must be some image in there... Oh well, I like to look at the headers anyways...

-Tim_axe