Anti-spammer being taken to court

Thread: Anti-spammer being taken to court

Anti-spammer being taken to court

The maintainer of the ORBZ spam blacklist might be taken to court for crashing a mail server in Michigan running a buggy version of Lotus Domino:

Wired: Spam Showdown at Battle Creek

It's sad that accidentaly crashing a server could lead you to jail ... when the guy found out his probes could crash a server, he reported it on BugTraq and Lotus fixed the bug. It's not like it was an intentional crash.

Cheers,

BrainStop
    "To estimate the time it takes to do a task, estimate the time you think it should take, multiply by two, and change the unit of measure to the next highest unit. Thus we allocate two days for a one-hour task." -- Westheimer's Rule

If you are a competent admin you know the value of a patching the system. Calling the cops for a possible intrusion, no problem there either. What gets to me is that after they discovered that it was their own system that caused the problem when you get down to it, they donīt drop the charges.
    Are those people trying to shift the blame for their own incompetence or what? Nothing he did was illegal. What should be illegal is the negligence on their part of not patching their own system.
    Dear Santa, I liked the mp3 player I got but next christmas I want a SA-7 surface to air missile

Hi mom!
    Actually, the administrator took ORBZ offline in an attempt to stop the lawsuit - slashdot has an thread on it here.
    I wish to express my gratitude to the people of Italy. Thank you for inventing pizza.

Yes, he donīt want to take any chances, what about it? Iīd do the same.
    Dear Santa, I liked the mp3 player I got but next christmas I want a SA-7 surface to air missile

In an update, the criminal charges have been dropped:

The Register: Criminal case against ORBZ spam blacklist dropped

Cheers,

BrainStop
    "To estimate the time it takes to do a task, estimate the time you think it should take, multiply by two, and change the unit of measure to the next highest unit. Thus we allocate two days for a one-hour task." -- Westheimer's Rule