Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: rot13

Ceasar did use something close to ROT13, well ok...he was the first "known" user of it, but anyway....that would be why it is called a Ceasar Cipher.....Just thought I would bring that up..
    http://www25.brinkster.com/cheeseball

-- Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment--

You could always just translate it at this page

http://www.rot13.com/

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Originally posted here by Cheeseball
    Ceasar did use something close to ROT13, well ok...he was the first "known" user of it, but anyway....that would be why it is called a Ceasar Cipher.....Just thought I would bring that up..
    No he's not. Cryptography, the act of hidden or secret text, dates back as far as 450 B.C. in Greece. Ceasar came into power in 59 B.C. Many people believe that Cryptography is only a recent thing but it's not.

The Code Book by Simon Singh is a good historical reference. There's another but I can't remember it right now.

Just FYI.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Originally posted here by MsMittens

No he's not. Cryptography, the act of hidden or secret text, dates back as far as 450 B.C. in Greece. Ceasar came into power in 59 B.C. Many people believe that Cryptography is only a recent thing but it's not.

The Code Book by Simon Singh is a good historical reference. There's another but I can't remember it right now.

Just FYI.
    Ceasar was probably the one to use Rot13 first, he was not the first one who used encryption in the history, which was what I meant and also probably CheeseBall.
    Just another piece FYI.
    Try, Fail but Do iT at last!
    ASA The ZeroTimeR
    The Turkish IT Documentation Project

The Code Book is great....but it does credit Caesar with the first recorded use of a cypher rather thatn hidding text, which Steganography...
    - Jimmy Mac

Replicants are like any technology, if there not a hazard, its not my problem....