Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linux V.S. FreeBSD

Question Linux V.S. FreeBSD

I cant decide on whether to install linux or FreeBsd.
    Does anyone have any opinion on the matter. If you can specify why you think one is better than the other. By the way ill be using the system mainly to compile c programs and learn to program in a unix enviroment rather than in windows.
    Thanks Alot

FreeBSD.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    OpenSTEP
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

FreeBSD, but i would perfer OpenBSD its more secure.
    FreeBSD is more secure than linux but not as secure as OpenBSD.
    FreeBSD is more cryptic for a newbie.
    If your not a newbie i would tell you to run OpenBSD
    Theres a story a year ago for where I live that a room got sealed up and forgotten at a college here. Coulpe years later they found a 486/75 running OpenBSD in the forgotten room and there had been logons a recent as a week ago. They checked the uptime and it was 6 years.
    I say BSD all the way

FreeBSD

FreeBSD

OpenBSD!

I cant decide on whether to install linux or FreeBsd.
    Does anyone have any opinion on the matter. If you can specify why you think one is better than the other.
    It's not really a case of better. It's just that they're different. FreeBSD is considered more secure than Linux mainly because it doesn't install network services by default. Linux tends to install a bunch of services in the default install. Often newbies don't realise that these services are running and that they are potential risks to security. It should also be noted that FreeBSD is actually a version of UNIX (ie. contains UNIX code) whereas Linux is a separate OS in that respect. FreeBSD tends to run faster than Linux. On the flipside, Linux is way more user friendly.

By the way ill be using the system mainly to compile c programs and learn to program in a unix enviroment rather than in windows.
    Well if security is not really much of an issue, why not go with Linux. It's easier to install and there's better online documentation. It offers you the same sort of programming environment. If you just want to write small programs, speed will not be an issue. The main reason people choose FreeBSD over Linux is security but that doesn't seem to be much of an issue for what you want to do. Hope this helps .
    OpenBSD - The proactively secure operating system.

How is freebsd more complicated?

How is freebsd more complicated?
    Linux is just as complicated as FreeBSD functionality-wise. It's just that most Linux distro's now have a nice GUI install program that guides you through the installation. Installing Redhat, for example, is fairly easy compared to installing FreeBSD. Also if you get stuck Redhat has excellent online docuemntation. Also newer Linux distro's have nice package management facilities (Debian's package management kicks butt).

With FreeBSD you are basically on your own. You really have to know what you're doing to take advantage of the power of FreeBSD. Installing FreeBSD simply because "it's more secure" is pointless unless you know your stuff. You have to know how to do the install and package additions "manually". And you will have to set up all the services yourself. They are not installed by default.

My advice for what you want to do is to go with Linux. You'll save yourself a lot of stress if all you want to do is get programming quickly .
    OpenBSD - The proactively secure operating system.

FreeBSD all the way