Thread: Simple Simon - Hacking Server

Simple Simon - Hacking Server

We (Sec33) just brought up a free hacking server project called Simple Simon.

It is intended to be educational and entertaining. The users of the site voted for it so we did it. ;-)

We simply placed a server on the net to allow people to hack it and learn. We load it from time to time with different linux flavors to compare its resistance to hacks, or lack of.

There is some competition envolved if you wish to participate, but obviously not required.. We wanted to make it usable by everyone. Not some commercial marketing thing.

www.sec33.com/page.php?page=simon.html for more information.

The first load is the new Mandrake 8.2 that was released on the 18th.

Take a look.

Cheers,

Kelvin://

Well that is a good idea and will challenge many. Don't you think setting up a Win32 platform would be prudent as well? Since the majority of the target market of PC's are based on Windows platforms. I deal with more testing the security of Win boxes from Linux or Win boxes than I do getting into Linux boxes. At least 99% of my clients run Win32 platforms. So even though I tinker with security on Linux for my own satisfaction and use it for myself. I am forced to center my focus on Win32 platforms.

Just my $.02 worth.
    The COOKIE TUX lives!!!!
    Windows NT crashed,I am the Blue Screen of Death.
    No one hears your screams.

Don't you think setting up a Win32 platform would be prudent as well? Since the majority of the target market of PC's are based on Windows platforms.
    Good idea {P²P}Apocalypse.
    OpenBSD - The proactively secure operating system.

Senior since the 3 dot era
    I have a remark: If you participate you must remember that they can log your attempts and create a profile and etc...

Is this real (not some person trying to let us do some cracking for him/her)? I think it's a real contest: check out: http://www.sec33.com/page.php?page=simon.html

Banned
    Well if it really is Kelvin from Sec33 its ok. I used to get the newsletter thingie!

Yeah, its real.. And, hang on... yup, I'm Kelvin. ;-)

We do plan on changing the OS out every few weeks for everyone to get some education on the different OS's out there. Mandrake 8.2 is so new that it looks like there isn't much to break on it. We do plan on voting every little while so that the general population can choose.

I had a good idea just now, but this wouldn't be immediate. What if eventually there were two teams, 1 team defending the server (couldn't use a firewall) and the other team attacking. The kicker is that it would be an older (full of holes) flavor of OS, and we would see who would win. Might be fun to see if the defending team can update packages before the other team r00ts the box.

Just an idea.. ;-) - I seem to be full of whacky ideas lately.

Random number generation is just too damn important to be left up to chance!

Originally posted here by Kelvin@Sec33
    I had a good idea just now, but this wouldn't be immediate. What if eventually there were two teams, 1 team defending the server (couldn't use a firewall) and the other team attacking. The kicker is that it would be an older (full of holes) flavor of OS, and we would see who would win. Might be fun to see if the defending team can update packages before the other team r00ts the box.
    Färfromr00tin....Heh heh. Now that would be realy cool.

Run an old Win95 OSR2 box against a TUX box.....Woo Hooooooooooo.
    Imagine the fun.
    The COOKIE TUX lives!!!!
    Windows NT crashed,I am the Blue Screen of Death.
    No one hears your screams.

very good should keep other people from changing other people sites for fun or other reasons bravo

That would be a nice benefit. Let Simon take a few for the team! ;-)

.. So far nobody is really doing any damage to Simon at all... I am wondering it it is just too new.

We'll give it some time though, before thinking about switching. Don't wanna make it too easy!

Random number generation is just too damn important to be left up to chance!

Banned
    Also try to combine a little bit of Red Hat with the Solaris'es DAEMON compiler(Server Extension). That would make for an intresting Os.