Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: News - Cyber SWAT Team

News - Cyber SWAT Team

Apparently two Senators (Ron Wyden, Democrat Oregon - George Allen, Republican Virgina) proposed a Bill that would create a Cyber SWAT Team.

http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/industr...eut/index.html
    ----
    "They would volunteer to help out during an emergency, similar to existing programs for search-and-rescue and medical volunteers. It would also set up a "reserve" of experts who could be contacted by emergency personnel. "

"The attacks of September 11 on the United States heightened concerns about the vulnerability of the nation's telecommunications, Internet and other vital networks to computer-based attack. "
    -----

Perhaps a side-effect will be a secure protocol.

In related News:
    ------
    http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/sil...ws/2901719.htm

FBI Director Robert Mueller has outlined a plan on Capitol Hill in recent weeks to break up the $27 million-a-year National Infrastructure Protection Center, formed in February 1998 to watch over the nation's systems controlling banking, water, power, telecommunications and government, congressional and administration sources said Wednesday. They added that they expected Mueller to make a formal decision as early as next week.

Wait... doesn't SWAT team stand for "special WEAPONS and tactics"? So what "special weapons" would this SWAT team carry? Virtual H&K MP5's?

God bless,
    --PhirePhreak
    I know you\'re out there. I can feel you now. I know that you\'re afraid. You\'re afraid of us. You\'re afraid of change. I don\'t know the future. I didn\'t come here to tell you how this is going to end. I came here to tell you how it\'s going to begin. I\'m going to hang up this phone, and then I\'m going to show these people what you don\'t want them to see. I\'m going to show them a world without you, a world without rules and controls, without borders or boundaries. A world where anything is possible. Where we go from there is a choice I leave to you.

Banned
    "The attacks of September 11 on the United States heightened concerns about the vulnerability of the nation's telecommunications, Internet and other vital networks to computer-based attack. "
    That is bullshit in the 3rd degree.. They always knew that the nations tetecommunications had a high security risk... Its a shame it took them a tragedy like Sept 11 to start doing something about it!

It was most likely the outcry from the citizens. Since the citizens never demanded (in such force) heightened security levels in telecommunication establishments they never implemented them, because of cost factor's among other things, i'm sure. Now they can write it off in the name of National Security. Even though they could have before. Politics, it'll kill us all.
    savIRC :: The Multi-Platform IRC Client v. 1.8 [Released 9.04.02]

Well, at least we can rest assured that we will die... this world's getting too crazy for me to take much more of it.

God bless,
    --PhirePhreak
    I know you\'re out there. I can feel you now. I know that you\'re afraid. You\'re afraid of us. You\'re afraid of change. I don\'t know the future. I didn\'t come here to tell you how this is going to end. I came here to tell you how it\'s going to begin. I\'m going to hang up this phone, and then I\'m going to show these people what you don\'t want them to see. I\'m going to show them a world without you, a world without rules and controls, without borders or boundaries. A world where anything is possible. Where we go from there is a choice I leave to you.

Heh.

According to deathclock.com I only have a mere 51 years left to live.
    savIRC :: The Multi-Platform IRC Client v. 1.8 [Released 9.04.02]

Your Personal Day of Death is...

Tuesday, October 28, 2059

Your Personal Day of Death is...
    Friday, May 29, 2043

Oh well. No seeing 2050 for me........
    The COOKIE TUX lives!!!!
    Windows NT crashed,I am the Blue Screen of Death.
    No one hears your screams.

I don't how such a "Cyber SWAT" team could operate. I mean how do you catch a cracker? View the logs and/or analyse the defacement page (check JP's page on "How to become a profiler). IMO, the FBI are already doing this to the best of anyone's abilities. But time will tell.

P2P you have 5 months more than me
    My personal feeling is that a cyber swat team could be the first step to restricting the net by employing filtering software, bye bye freedom of speach , hello George Orwell and the thougt police
    Never miss a good opportunity to shut up.....