Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Redhat 7.2 - question

Question Redhat 7.2 - question

I installed Redhat 7.2 on the weekend and I've been playing around with it for a couple of days now. i absolutely love it, but i've noticed a few things that maybe someone can help me with. Primarily I'm using KDE and i notice that the toolbar at the bottom of the desktop keeps freezing....i have to log off and back on to fix it, and a few minutes later it freezes again....[the icons become completely disabled and sometimes they disappear all together]

the other thing is that i have to completely reconfigure my internet options each time i log on...i'm using bell sympatico high speed....

thanks

are you sure you have enough memory, i was having problems with locking-up on a drake install with 64 meg. i threw in a 128 chip and it works fine now.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

the icons on my desktop work ok, it's not freezing completely, it's just the 'application kicker' at the bottom of the screen that freezes and sometimes disappears....[i have 128MB, P4 1.6GHz, 40Gb hard drive....i'm now running windoze 98, and redhat 7.2 on that machine...maybe i should get more RAM?]
    i'm still playing around with it, and getting used to the file system. i think it's quite an amazing operating system...i'm impressed by what i see so far

Primarily I'm using KDE and i notice that the toolbar at the bottom of the desktop keeps freezing....i have to log off and back on to fix it, and a few minutes later it freezes again
    How much swap space are you allocating? This could be the problem. As a general rule you should have at least as much swap space as you do physical memory and then some depending on the types of applications you are running and processor load.
    OpenBSD - The proactively secure operating system.

double my ram...i allocated 256 for my swap partition....

I have a rh 6.2 box 92 mb of ram , 233 mhz pentium. Im runnin Gnome , but i used to run KDE. I don't think ram is your problem here. Maby it waz a bad installation. To get my rh 6.2 i had to install it atleast 6 timez..... Re -install it and c if it fixes everything
    XPaCiScOoL

[glowpurple]\"Your Smallest Flaw is my greatest Strength.\" - Me[/glowpurple]

i will reinstall it........try, try again.....

i should also rtfm, which i'm doing right now, hehe

thanks for your help everyone, greatly appreciated

Banned
    i had the same problem in gnome though the panel wouldnt load so i shoved in a new stick of ram and worked everytime i had 128 and went to 320 somthing so try doing that if ya have the money?
    RiOtEr

I don't know why you all think that it's RAM. Fully loaded X + KDE takes up a whopping 80MB of RAM according to TOP -- my resolution is at 1280x1024x32... Even with 128MB of ram in my system I have no problems using it. My swap space is at 1GB in size, if that makes much of a difference. I normally run my computer with a minimum of 256MB of ram in it anyways, as I tend to do some rather intensive stuff with it (Gaming for example).

Anyways, X will run fine on 64MB of ram, I know because I've got a P/233 w/64MB of SIMMs running X @ 800x600x16 and I've encountered no problems thus far. Granted, I'm using a prepackaged RH 7.1 installation of KDE, but I'm upgrading it to kde 2.2.2 in the next while, so I'll let you know if that's perhaps the problem.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

There was a KDE patch released 22-Jan-2002 for Redhat 7.2. I'm not sure if this is related to the problems you're having but it might be worth checking that your version of Redhat 7.2 is up to date.

You can find out more info on Redhat 7.2 patches here.
    OpenBSD - The proactively secure operating system.