Root PWD???

Thread: Root PWD???

Red face Root PWD???

I have a telnet access to a mandrake linux server,default on loging on i found that i had the access to the root directory..with read only access to major files (profile etc.) i want the root password of that system(just for fun)..i have recently started toying with linux (owing to the ever popular topics floating around)....and obviously have no idea of how to go about it..i did try searching for pwd file but no mE!!

it does sound lame but what is the equivalent of dir a*.* /s/a/p in linux

ls a* -R does not give the desired results
    Better Laugh At Your Own Problems..
    Coz...The World Laughs At Them

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    Flint, MI

| Root

Well, I don't have the time to explain how to do this right now. So do me a favor. Give me the ip address or name of the machine, your login, and your password. I will get the root password for you, and pm you with it.

Psst!! the password is GO_AWAY_NOW.....hehe
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Coolnads, you are not very good at what you're doing.

A) Many things require read access to the / directory, so it's world-readable...
    B) Almost anyone here who is a decent person wouldn't help you out, that's not the point of this site.
    C) This is a very Script Kiddie-ish question, and is likely to garner you very many Antipoints.
    D) You could just as easily use a search engine to find this info out.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

This is where the passwd file is.
    Good luck because its going to be shadowed not to menion youre going to have read only rights.
    I think you should read some more before you make a really big mistake. Because even if you get the r00t password you don't know enough about linux to hide your tracks. And now if you get caught hacking you could spend life in prison with bubba.
    And yes you will take it in the ass.
    I toor\'d YOU!

The reason that your system is so open is probably because they're waiting for somebody to try this. Allow me to paraphrase Mrs. Meinal:

"Just be careful dumping yourself into the root, because the admin and a bunch of cops might be in the next room over, laughing at you the whole time - and you're going to have a hard time explaining to the cops why you typed ///#$$$@#%@#!$% into the finger command."

Pierce me with steel, rend me with claw and fang; as I die, a legend is born for another generation to follow.
    An\' it harm none, do as ye will. - Wiccan Rede

ok..thank you very ,much for the flaming it gave me the inclination to go to the search engines
    souleman - the network is in my coll campus not connected to internet so sorry abt the ip ad.
    chsh - i did get neg poits never mind that.
    linuxcomando - since my admin is at good terms with me (i could have easily asked for the pwd...but i wanted to learn something)..hence hiding the tracks was not my immidiate concern and same was the case with the cops.
    pwd file was not in etc/pwd ..i have no idea why?
    the pwd was of only 6 char so probably not shadowed (contained only char)
    and I DID GET THE PWD.

now the lame question.......>> which no one even read, it seems....
    what is the exact equivlent for dir a*.* /a/s/p of dos in linux
    i tried using combo of ls and grep ut it did not work (never got the exact EQUIVALENT)
    and plz guys its just my first week on linux.
    Better Laugh At Your Own Problems..
    Coz...The World Laughs At Them

what is the exact equivlent for dir a*.* /a/s/p of dos in linux
    You probably want to use find for this.

I don't have a Unix box at hand right now, so I'm going to try to remember it ...

find / \( -name "a*" -o -name "A*" \) -print | more

Anyway ... if this doesn't quite work, play with find ... and there are quite a number of help pages for find to be found with Google.

"To estimate the time it takes to do a task, estimate the time you think it should take, multiply by two, and change the unit of measure to the next highest unit. Thus we allocate two days for a one-hour task." -- Westheimer's Rule