Thread: SuSE Linux 7.0 help...

Unhappy SuSE Linux 7.0 help...

First a little background info...I am running SuSE Linux 7.0, and I am having trouble finding my PCI modem. I am using a dual-boot pc (win xp and suse). I read in some manuals that my modem is in /dev/modem, however, my modem isn't there. I mean, I don't doubt it's in /dev, but there isn't a device called "modem". in /sbin, I typed "lspci -v" to list my PCI devices, and I found my that my modem is I/O port 1400, IRQ 18, and UART 16750. but I can't run the command "setserial /dev/modem port 1400 irq 18 uart 16750" because /dev/modem doesn't exist. So I read some more, and found that ttys2 could be my modem. so I ran "setserial /dev/ttys2 port 1400 irq 18 uart 16750" and then it came up "Invalid Input/Output" or something like that. I think that one reason could be port "1400" might need to be in "0x" format, but I don't know how to get that. Please help if you can, thanks.

-Nitro-

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    First question: Is it a Win-Modem?

And have you visited http://www.linmodems.org/
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

It sounds like a winmodem to me aswell

Okay, MsM, I went to that site, and I found my modem : PCTEL Platinum v.90 DeviceID = 134D.
    So does this mean I have a winmodem? that's okay, I guess...I kinda thought this was the problem. thanks for your help.

-Nitro-

No problem. Linux generally doesn't like winmodems and those that use linux regular stay far away from them.

Glad that we could find some solution. Let us know how it works out.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head

another question...

I am probably going to be getting DSL soon, so is there anything I need to know about with Linux/DSL compatibility?

-Nitro-

Well, I use a cable modem but my understand of DSL is the same: it uses TP (Twisted Pair) Cabling. So you will need a NIC. Go with a brand name (3Com is supported best) or a linux supported NIC (one that comes with Linux Drivers).

A hub or router will help network internally.

Wink thanks

thanks for your help again MsM