Thread: Upgrade from NT to 98?

Post Upgrade from NT to 98?

Hello all. This is an easy question that I cant seem to find the answer to. I have a computer that has Windows NT 4.0 installed on it. In hopes of saving a little bit of cash I want to purchase the Windows 98se upgrade CD rather than the full version. Will this work? btw this computer is for a family member so a *nix operating system wont do, and the computer is too old to run Windows 2000 or XP. Thank you for any help.
    Wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.
    --Ecclesiastes 10:19

Banned
    You buy Windows? LOL
    Errr, im not sure but if you search on KaZaA for Win98 under software you will get a few interesting results

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar

Talking

Um. No. You can't "downgrade" from 98 to NT. You would need a new partition to install and perhaps use a boot commander to ensure a multi-boot system. If you need to share files, get NTFSDOS so that 98 can read the NTFS partition.

Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

ThePreacher,
    I think I understand what your question is, can you upgrade to SE from NT. The answer is no, you must have the basic OS of windoze 98 to be able to upgrade to SE, if you try to upgrade from NT there won't be the proper parts of the system to build upon, you need win98 as the base first. Was that what you wanted to know?

i had a similar experience [if i understand correctly what you are asking]
    i had to format c:, start fresh and do a complete install

I mostly concur with msmittens, unless you have a fat32 partition under nt. You may wish to blow away nt, load 95 and then your w98se on top of that.
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.

To put windows 98 on an NT computer you have to do the good old format c: and start from scratch.

Just ask someone if you can have there old win98 cd I’m sure they’ll give it to you if they’ve upgrade to XP.
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

a 95 cd will work or disk 1 of a 3.x, if you have one of those. a clean install is always best.

you can only use Windows 3.x, 3.1x or Windows 95 to upgrade
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

You have to partition your hard drive and do a dual boot. It is pretty obvious that you cannot 'upgrade' win NT with win98SE