On-Line Scanning

Thread: On-Line Scanning

On-Line Scanning

Just curious,
    What are everyone's opinions on some of those on-line scanning engines? Do any of you think that there is more than what meats the eye about them? {Open discussion, all opinions accepted and encouraged}

Banned
    I believe there is more than what meets the eye and that perhaps some sites try to get more information through scanning. When you visit their site, sometimes they can scan for even worst stuff. Depends on source code and programming of the site. The owner could put in a program he made to scan for certain material.

You mean are they spyware? I guess some of them could be. It would be had to tell of the scanning engine was spying on you because it looks at all your files anyway.

were talking about virus scaning right?
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

i think that would depend on the integrity of the person/people that run the site.

it would be a good souce of 'marketing info" for the not so reputable

real good publicity for the reputable security consulting firm.

and a bonanza for a cracker. not matter if they set up their own site or work for a reputable security consultant.

ya just never no where this info is going.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Interesting,
    >>cwk "I am talking about port scanning, DoS scanning, etc. services on the internet"
    Has anyone ever heard of someone exploiting one of these on-line scanners? By either installing spyware on open computers, by being taken over by malicious crackers and then installing spyware, etc. etc. What do all of you think?

I set up a few cgi proggies to do various tasks that i had seen on other sites, but thats the problem hmm you cant go right into the code when its like that eh....so your placing your trust in someone else when you do that.

if you had access to the full on site index then you could see for yourself, but thats a bit of a joke right....

hmmm try if you will, but know its through a second party really...

If your keen about that info then do it yourself i reckon

Good idea ron.

Banned
    Also if you know Javascript and it performs a message n you click okay, you can easily put a cgi scanning proggie in there to run something on the computer. That would mean you would be a genious but it would also explain things like when u use that how it performs commands like bookmark n favorites. It is a simple command but with scanning it can add commands by adding a certain cgi script.

Oh I thought you were talking about those free online virus scanners.
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.