Thread: Resolution Problem

Banned

Resolution Problem

This is not really a security problem, but its a problem im having and it really pisses me off.

This is how it starts.... I was reformating my computer last night, I wrote zero's twice, and did those scans. Now after that I re-installed everything. But the problem is my Windows 98 will not allow me to change my resolution! I go into the active desktop area and try and change it from 640,480 but it wont move. This problem also happened last time I reformated, so what I did to fix it then is I went into regedit -> config -> display -> system -> then I went to resolution and changed the value from 640,480, to 800,600. But this time it didnt work!

Also last time this happened, I got updated drivers from my graphics cards website, expect this time I cant find their site with it. So I dont know what to do.

System Info:
    Windows 98, second edition
    Video Card: nVidia TnT2 Vanta 16MB AGP Graphics Card

So what do I do? Can anyone find the driver updates for me(And yes! I used google)? and help me get around this problem. If you need anymore system info let me know!

One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them.
    One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
    (The Lord Of The Rings)
    http://www.bytekill.net

Please do a proper search..put your criteria properly and you MUST get the drivers..if not go to www.drivershq.com.......

Banned

Thumbs up

Yes... They may have come up on google, and I did not say they wouldnt. I say I couldnt find them on google. I did several searches and I'm not good at finding my way through that type of information, or any information at all for that matter. However the first sight you posted I did find, but It didnt have what I wanted. The second though, is the one I was looking for but couldnt remember anything about. So thanks.

But is there any other ways to alter the resolution on my computer other than just regedit? Or the way windows allows you to?

what the hell are you talking about? your computer is using the default video drivers and displaying the default resolution. you can not change this. why? because the machine does not know how! you need the proper drivers! go to the nvidia geforce website. they have windows 98 drivers, just stop being lazy and look. what the hell are you doing in regedit? someone with your experience trying to play with regedit is really not recommended. looks like you will be formatting again soon...

Banned
    Sorry to disapoint you VanEck, but it is not the drivers. I just downloaded the current drivers and installed them, nothing changed.

About RegEdit.... I was not touching anything I did not know about. If you read what I said, you'd know that I didnt go any place, but the place I was told to go to, as another method of changing the resolution. I really dont see how thats going to affect my computer by changing that.

I really dont touch things in regedit unless I know what they are.

Locking out the resolution in Win98 can also be due to the definition of your monitor ...

in the advanced tab of your screen settings, check the monitor type. If it's set to a generic monitor, it might be very limited, especially if the check mark says "display only modes which this monitor can display"

(I am not on a Win98 box at the moment, so the actual text might be different)

Check if you have drivers for your monitor ... I remember I had a similar problem when my helpdesk gave me a new PC and the only resolution rate I could choose was 60 Hz ... on a Trinitron tube ... so check your monitor definition first.

Cheers,

BrainStop
    "To estimate the time it takes to do a task, estimate the time you think it should take, multiply by two, and change the unit of measure to the next highest unit. Thus we allocate two days for a one-hour task." -- Westheimer's Rule

Banned

Cool

Thank you everyone. I have fixed the problem