Thread: Transferring a PDC

Question Transferring a PDC

I currently have a Win2K Advance server on my network and have is as the DC. I have a NT4 server that is setup as a PDC and want to demote it to have it as a BDC to the Win2k. Can anybody help in how this is done? I would greatly appreciate the help.

i would suggest you to update the winnt4 to win2000 and make it a second DC to backup your first DC because with win2000, there's no more PDC/BDC just dc's

I'm not sure if you will be able to demote your PDC to a BDC and have it run on a 2000 network. However, I can tell you that there is a program called UPromote that will allow you to promote and demote NT boxes at will. We used to use them after we ghosted a machine. The ghost was of a stand alone server and would allow you to promote it to a Domain Controller. You take a BDC to a PDC...or any Domain Controller to a Stand-alone or just about any other combination there of. However, I haven't been able to find it anywhere that is free, so it might cost you some money. go here to find out info about it. As for taking that promoted/demoted NT box to a 2000 domain, I don't know. Hope I could help a little.
    “It will not bother me should I live my entire life without having to kill a man but I have to say I\'m glad to be surrounded by a thousand 19 year-old Marines who can\'t wait to.”

email reportedly from an Air Force EOD Tech at Kandahar airfield

actually, let me correct myself....that link i just sent, the download will run in demonstration mode. You'll have to pay for the License Code. Might wanna try the demo to see if it allows all the capabilities.
    “It will not bother me should I live my entire life without having to kill a man but I have to say I\'m glad to be surrounded by a thousand 19 year-old Marines who can\'t wait to.”

email reportedly from an Air Force EOD Tech at Kandahar airfield

assuming that the 2k server is a member server on the same domain as the NT box you might be able to run dcpromo.exe on the 2k machine..... This will make it a DC in the domain.

You may also go into server manager on the NT box and try to demote the NT 4.0 box to a BDC... I don't know if this will push the security accounts to the 2k Machine though...

The easiest thing to do might be to remove the 2k box from its existing domain and create a new domain (again by using dcpromo). Then you should be able to add the NT box to the new domain.

or... if you have an old pc around you can install NT4.0 server on that PC. add it to the domain and promote it to PDC (this will push all of the SIDs etc.. to the swing server and automatically demote the old box to BDC). Then you install 2k server on the old NT server and add it to the domain....

or you can just simply upgrade the exisating NT server to 2k..

After reading all of this nonsense I'm not sure how anyone can understand what I'm trying to say... but, You can always PM me for a more detailed explanation if you need to...