Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pgp

Pgp

I use, and love, PGP for mac, and I was wondering if anyone else here used it...I am assuming most of y'all use it or something similar...

PGP came with a nice pdf intro to crytography with a rather self-serving (IMHO) chapter by Phil Zimmerman, the creator of PGP, so I am uploading it here...
    - Jimmy Mac

Replicants are like any technology, if there not a hazard, its not my problem....

Ok, Looks like I can't upload the pdf here, it seems to be too big, or have some other bug...
    - Jimmy Mac

Replicants are like any technology, if there not a hazard, its not my problem....

I haven't used PGP for a while actually, I've been constantly re-installing systems and so havemn't had a system working long enough to install crypto software...

However, I now face a small dilemma:

PGP 6.5.8 or PGP 7.0.3?
    One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them.
    One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
    (The Lord Of The Rings)
    http://www.bytekill.net

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    I don't think that pdf files are allowed. Try putting it in a zip file.

And yes, I do use pgp for windows, and opengp for linux.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

Thumbs up

Affirmative on PGP, i presently use the last version 7.0.3 before it migrated to 7.0.4(?) and got a big company name. I bought that one also but haven't used it, just loaded it on a spare unit to see how it works. Am fairly confident in the integrity of 7.0.3. and the only backdoor I've read about is is someone gets you to send them your private key or something like that, pretty complicated and IMHO fairly remote unless you send your keysets to people you don't know or something. several small security holes in pre 7.0.3 versions according to the evaluations, but probably no problem unless you're a target organization, company, etc. Zimmerman went to doing consulting and is on the board of a couple of security computer and internet companies after 7.0.3, and so if you're concerned about deliberate backdoors in programs and had to bet on one being clean, I'd probably bet on 7.0.3, and keep your keys among your private circle of tr ust. Hey, that's just MHO. Have fun in D.C.!

Originally posted here by Rewandythal
    I haven't used PGP for a while actually, I've been constantly re-installing systems and so havemn't had a system working long enough to install crypto software...

However, I now face a small dilemma:

PGP 6.5.8 or PGP 7.0.3?
    IMHO 7.0.3 is probably the one i would choose for anything serious. There is a small (remote) hole in 7.0.3 (not home so can't give you the white paper reference) but is fairly complicated and involves someone talking you into giving them your keysets then a message and a couple of other things i can't remember right now. The previous versions according to the white papers have more security flaws that may be exploitable more easily. One thing i would really recommend, keep your keysets, your signature and pgp on a drive you aren't constantly reloading/flatening. Saves a lot of rebuilding after an OS reload, IMHO anyway.

Thanks.

I'd like to read the white paper if you have the link anywhere, but I'll download 7.0.3 anyway.
    One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them.
    One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
    (The Lord Of The Rings)
    http://www.bytekill.net

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    keep your keysets, your signature and pgp on a drive you aren't constantly reloading/flatening
    Keep them on a floppy disk, so you don't have to worry if some gets access to you computer.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

Here's another thread with the PDF attached: http://www.antionline.com/showthread...&highlight=pgp
    ---
    proactive

PGP rocks!! I just wish more people (neophytes) knew how to use it.....
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson