World's first cyborg?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: World's first cyborg?

World's first cyborg?

So where do I begin with this one? First, what do you think the biggest issues with this are? And second, what's your take on mixing humans and machines?

http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/science...org/index.html

This has possibilities..
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

I don't see the big deal, its just another tool to augment your body, something we have been doing since we created tools all those many years ago...

PS I want to be a cyborg!
    - Jimmy Mac

Replicants are like any technology, if there not a hazard, its not my problem....

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    Ummm, what about an iron lung? Ok, so maybe you are not mobil, but you are still attached to a machine. Ok then, be picky. What about a defibulator or a pace maker. Wouldn't that be considered a cyborg? Now, how many of you are jealous of the people with heart problems?
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

So is our (american) Vice President a Cyborg then? AAAHH!!! Run its the cybor vice president!!!
    - Jimmy Mac

Replicants are like any technology, if there not a hazard, its not my problem....

If it helps ppl and is not used to create cybots/cyborgs like on "soldier" then it is ok.
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.

Ninja Code Monkey
    I think this can lead to some very nice improvements when it comes to prosthetics for missing limbs and such. We can actually develop prosthetic devices that move because of nerve impulses sent by the brain and possibly some time in the future feed impulses back to basically add the sense of touch to those prosthetics.

Also this could eventually be used to give someone their sight or hearing back.
    "When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." - Erasmus
    "There is no programming language, no matter how structured, that will prevent programmers from writing bad programs." - L. Flon
    "Mischief my ass, you are an unethical moron." - chsh
    Blog of X

I think the largest argument against cyborgs is this-which I think is completely reasonable-if we make machines that can make decisions completely on their own, then what would make being human so special...in other words people are afraid that the human race will become obselete, which is happening very quickly at this very moment-if machines can think for themselves, which is the only thing they don't have over us, can think faster, and are much stronger, then we would be very obselete and would have no real purpose.....
    “People don’t talk about anything.” [Clarisse]
    “Oh, they must!” [Guy]
    “No, not anything. They name a lot of cars or clothes or swimming pools mostly and say how swell! But they all say the same things and nobody says anything different from anyone else. And most of the time in the cafes they have the joke-boxes on and the same jokes most of the time, or the musical wall lit and all the colored patterns running up and down, but it’s only color and all abstract. And at the museums, have you ever been? All abstract. That\'s all there is now...\"
    -A conversation with Clarrise McClellan and Guy Montag from Fahrenheit 451

Ninja Code Monkey
    Ahh.....But with the cyborg we are augmenting the humans, not replacing them.
    "When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." - Erasmus
    "There is no programming language, no matter how structured, that will prevent programmers from writing bad programs." - L. Flon
    "Mischief my ass, you are an unethical moron." - chsh
    Blog of X

Well if we were augmenting humans, I think that makes it completely different....but if we built the cyborgs completely from scratch, then I stick with what I said earlier.....
    “People don’t talk about anything.” [Clarisse]
    “Oh, they must!” [Guy]
    “No, not anything. They name a lot of cars or clothes or swimming pools mostly and say how swell! But they all say the same things and nobody says anything different from anyone else. And most of the time in the cafes they have the joke-boxes on and the same jokes most of the time, or the musical wall lit and all the colored patterns running up and down, but it’s only color and all abstract. And at the museums, have you ever been? All abstract. That\'s all there is now...\"
    -A conversation with Clarrise McClellan and Guy Montag from Fahrenheit 451

Cyborg in Dictionary.com: http://www.dictionary.com/cgi-bin/di...rm=cyborg&r=67
    compare to robot: http://www.dictionary.com/cgi-bin/di...erm=robot&r=67

CF_nM, if you "build a cyborg from scratch", it is not a cyborg, it's a robot with AI.

Funny things those cyborgs, though... What if we augment a human by replacing his brain by a computer..?
    Q: Why do computer scientists confuse Christmas and Halloween?
    A: Because Oct 31 = Dec 25