Mapping the Internet

Thread: Mapping the Internet

str34m3r

Talking Mapping the Internet

While reading my system's logs today, I saw some very interesting traffic. It involved a long series of pings with low TTL's. It appeared to be a traceroute of some sort, but one reason I found it so unusual was that it continued pinging off and on all day though, from 8-10 very different source IP's. So I did a little research. After doing host lookups, I realized all the pings were from the same domain name - somename.skitter.caida.org. Well, after visiting their website, I realized that caida.org is doing a project mapping the internet. I thought the project was cool, so I'm posting a link so everyone can go and be intrigued. And perhaps when they get around to scanning your section of the internet, you'll know immediately not to worry.

http://www.caida.org/analysis/topolo...AS_Network.xml

Banned
    Cool website I wonder if they will map the whole thing

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    Pretty cool

**That map is HUGE!**
    It is quite massive... I wonder if they will ever get to my neck of the woods (Detroit Area)?
    Welcome to Hell , where we have served more than all of the fast food chains put together! And the number grows everyday! Stay tuned!

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    The AS Internet graph: A Macroscopic Visualisation of the Internet During October, 2000.
    Umm, looks like it needs to be updated a little bit. I got a free version of this poster a while back. I can't remember exactly who it was from though....probably IBM, but it is at work on my wall.

Just so you know psychosquee, my area is on there, and I live in Saginaw, so I am sure you probably are on there. Actually, I think Detroit got its own label.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

great site
    Listen closely to your enemies. They tell you your faults.

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    I knew I had the poster here at work.
    www.sprintesolutions.com/map1

And detroit didn't get its own label, but its just to the left of Chicago.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman