Modem connection emulator

Thread: Modem connection emulator

Modem connection emulator

I'm doing some stress testing on a web application I'm making. I wonder if there's any software out there that can make my LAN network slow down to 56K modem speed. Or perhaps someone got suggestions on how I can find out how my app will function in a slow-band environment.

I can't use the services on the web, because the client has to use a fingerprint-pad. (I'm working on a fingerprint log-in solution).

Any help will do!
    ---
    proactive

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    Umm, reconfigure your switch to slow down the data throughput?

There are a few ways to do it, I just can't think of any right off hand. What are you running for network hardware (NIC/Swithch/Router/etc) and what software on the puter?

You could always dial in to the box....
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

I'm running the server on a win2000 box, and the client is winXP. The switch can't be configured, but I have an ADSL-router (Cisco 677i-DIR). I've never played with it but I know I can telnet into it.

I can of course buy a modem, but I would like to see how my app works at different speeds (56 Kb/sec, 128 Kb/sec, 560 Kb/sec (Modem, ISDN, Cable).
    ---
    proactive

Use the bandwidth throttling feature in windows 2000, both pro and server have this option for IIS. If you use 2kpro, IIS is not installed by default, you will have to install it. Additionally Bandwidth throttling is not enabled when you install IIS under win2k pro, you can enable it in you Computer Management Console, it's under <services & applications> then right click on Internet Information Services, select properties then enable bandwidth throttling. Yoy may or may not have to create a virtual directory, I bet you can get away with the default based on what you described. Hope it helps, fell free to PM me if you have any other questions.

Thanks V3RIZON! This might work, I'll try it out in the morning.
    ---
    proactive

Ok, how about this

Assuming it's a public web site,

Get a laptop or something, dial up to the internet via the normal phone network, set up a proxy server on there, and configure your application to connect to the server via a proxy on the end of the modem? It will probably be a dynamic IP but you can find it out easily enough.

Just an idea

Slarty