View Poll Results: Do you agree with the amount the CARP is trying to get webcasters to pay the RIAA?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I think its fair.

0 0%
  • It should be a little less.

1 25.00%
  • No, it is far to high a rate.

3 75.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Graphics Format

Graphics Format

Which is your preferred graphics format on your website?

I use JPEG wherever possible, and PNG when it's needed (In replacement for GIF files).
    One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them.
    One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
    (The Lord Of The Rings)
    http://www.bytekill.net

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    I like to use bmp, so my website can take hours to dl on a 56k connection Or maybe I don't, since I don't have a website.

I normally use jpeg when I can. Actually, I have only used gif a couple times, and they were never done by me.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

A website I visited not so long ago had a 1280x1024 bitmap as its background... Sufficing to say I didn't wait around for it to load!
    (The Lord Of The Rings)

.jpg and .png, I dont use gifs unless I have to. Im not a fan of animated gifs anyway. They distract from actual content on a website, and often times have to do with silly banner ads.
    Wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.
    --Ecclesiastes 10:19

Indeed, PNG are smaller file sizes anyway, usually... unless they're 48-bit true colour!!!
    (The Lord Of The Rings)

jpg mostly but the majority of my graphics are done in flash 5 so .swf - is a pain i know as you need the plug-in to view them but as my site is for flash developers and web-masters looking to create a site in flash then they should have it

v_Ln

Banned
    i use jpegs and gifs most of the time. about 80% of my images are jpegs.

one question. i tried saving a gif as a .png . when i saved the image, it was 50% bigger in size. i there a problem with my image editor or is it just like that?

Whenever I convert GIF to PNG, the PNG is invariably smaller.

Try using gif2png... This is the windows version, but Linux versions do exist, just search Google.
    (The Lord Of The Rings)

Banned
    An img format really depends on what the img is. I usually prefer keeping photos as jpeg. Everything else goes under PNG.
    After Unisys asked for $5000 for each license agreement(per website, i think) i say, who needs GIF?
    PNG is OpenSource, compresses more efficiently and you don't see an image degradation. I've heard that it doesnt support animation and i'm wondering what MNG is used for then?

The bad part is that not every graphic editing tool handles PNG right. Photoshop for an example, doesn't seem to do a good job. GIMP gives you a choice of 9 compression levels and fireworks handles it pretty good.

Blackh0le, aside from the tools you use, avoid interlace ..since that will double the file size. Also, keep in mind that a PNG True color will always be bigger then a GIF of the same img unless you reduce the palette. PNG handles millions of colors, while Gif uses an 8-bit palette. If you want to reduce the file size, Index your PNG, don't leave it at RGB.

I usually just use GIF and JPG. I use the JPG format for photo-like images which require high-detail and I use the GIF format for simple images, such as text-based, navigation buttons for websites, etc.

Some basic info about these two image formats:
    JPG:
    - lossy compression removes subtle differences in colour not perceptible to the human eye resulting in file size savings without image deterioration. (lossy compression schemes usually result in smaller files, however, these files will take longer to decompress when displayed.)
    - stores 24 bits per pixel (16.7 million colours)
    - not really suitable for simple images such as line drawings and text, as this would result in grainy images with blurry lines.
    - because information is lost each time an image is processed, repeatedly saving the same image will result in gradual loss of detail.

GIF:
    - this compression technique works on colour repetitions and patterns hence all information is preserved.
    - supports up to 256 colours (8 bit)
    - interlacing, transparency and animation are special GIF features.

This info comes from my uni lecture notes. I thought it was interesting information if you didn't already know it, as it helped me to decide what format I should use depending on what type of image I want to create.

Greg
    \"Do you know what people are most afraid of?
    What they don\'t understand.
    When we don\'t understand, we turn to our assumptions.\"
    -- William Forrester