Thread: What's the better language?

Question What's the better language?

Can anyone tell me what the better script language is for a website and what the differences are between them. I'm planning to create my own website but I'm COMPLETELY new to webdesign.

Please help me to learn...

Sick Dwarf - start off learning html - then dhtml - if you want it to be graphic orientated learn flash 5 - plus then you could start learning server side scripts - heh maybe you should just learn html for now

v_Ln

short answer: php
    Wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.
    --Ecclesiastes 10:19

Learn HTML first, from a book such as HTML4 unleashed.

If you want to use scripts, depends on whether you want client-side (easier, but less compatible) or server-side (harder and more insecure, but more compatible). Try learning JavaScript first, see how you go, then step up to PHP and finally start integrating it with MySQL databases.

There's hundreds of sites out there that will teach you the basics, a quick search for 'web design tutorials' or similiar on Google should give you all the help you need to get started.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

The first question is NOT what is the best language but WHAT are you trying to do...
    If you are running a website and only need lets say... maybe a client side image map then hey learn JavaScript but if you need Server Side Scripting then you need to ask another question...What Web Server and Operating System am I running?
    If you are running Linus with Apache then the answer would most likely be PHP(unless your are nuts ). If you have Windows and IIS (ACK!! ) then you might want to stick with a fully integrated solution like ASP. And low and behold if you are running Windows with Apache (lmao! ) then you might want to stick with CGI due to the ease of installation.
    Like I said it is what you want to do and what you have available.
    AS far as my classes go from beginning to end I teach in this order:
    JavaScript
    PERL
    CGI
    ASP
    PHP
    JAVA
    Works for my students
    Mandy....
    MCIWSM, MCIWD, CIWCI, CIWP, CIWA, N+, A+

Can anyone tell me what the better script language is for a website and what the differences are between them. I'm planning to create my own website but I'm COMPLETELY new to webdesign.
    When it comes to scripting languages Perl is usually the way to go. It's really good for manipulating strings so dynamic creation of web pages is easy. It is widely used so it's easy to find modules and support for it. There isn't much you can't do with Perl.

Check out some Perl books here.

The only downside to Perl is its performance. Since it is an interpretted scripting langauge, its programs don't run as fast as those written in a compilable language. If performance is your primary concern use C to write your scripts.

Useful C reference here.
    OpenBSD - The proactively secure operating system.