Linux network problem??
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Linux network problem??

Linux network problem??

SUP!!

Im trying to set up a linux firewall for my Lan (linux 7.1) I have 2 win2k machine behind the the linux box. I setup eth0 as the gateway for the "win" machines and eth1 for the internet on my linux box.Now all my machines can ping each other. BUt when i try to ping www.yahoo.com their is no reply- but it does say transmitted xx packets --0 packets received?? I try to surf the net and that obviously doesnt work either. Sooo i tryed to ping my ISP gateway and that works and same with their dhcp. Anybody have an idea what i forgot to setup or did worng? I also tryed nslookup and it resolves the names--- Any ideas!!! Thanks

P.S.> I just a newbie to linux

Sounds more like a problem at your ISP, if you ask me.
    However, it might be worth checking your router/firewall settings just to make sure you didn't make a mistake, wrong IP address, wrong port number someplace or something...
    One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them.
    One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
    (The Lord Of The Rings)
    http://www.bytekill.net

Banned
    Can you give us some more info, like what kinda connection you have/ if you use a router/dhcp server etc.

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    Are you trying to ping from the linux box or the win2k boxes?

If you have a dedicated connection (which it appears you do) it looks like something is wrong with you DNS lookup. Either it isn't attempting to lookup anything, or your isp is having some type of problem.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

Banned

DNS

Yeah, Dedicated connection or not, you always have to set up DNS on a linux box..... that might be your problem

do you have a default route set on your fw?

it might be a DNS prob, but you can diagnose that quickly by pinging to an IP addy instead of a DNS name.

Your FW might also be blocking this traffic. Focmaester is right...we really need more info, but try the basics first.

Computer Forensics
    sounds like ipforwarding is not setup on the router.........
    Antionline in a nutshell
    \"You\'re putting the fate of the world in the hands of a bunch of idiots I wouldn\'t trust with a potato gun\"

Trust your Technolust

Yah i got a ADSL connection to the internet.... And i can ping my linux box from my win2k box and linux to win2k, all that is fine... no i dont use a DNS or a DHCP server on my LAN but have it configured to my ISP DNS. WHen i ping www.yahoo.com it says it sent paketcs to www.yahoo.akadns.net(216.115.102.78) but no relpy and then when i try to ping an internet ip addy i get the same thing, i configured all of my sttings using "linuxconf" and DNS is pointing to my ISP DNS servers and i am using "lokkit" to configure my Firewall setting which are "medium" and i have enabled access for DHCP and WWW. I dont know really if i configured DNS other than directing it to my ISP..... How would i configure DNS and my firewall if that is that problem??? THANKS!!

You might need to enable incoming ICMP Ping if you want to receive ping results, but I'm not sure on that one... I could be (and probably am) mixing 2 things up here and getting it wrong.
    One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them.
    One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
    (The Lord Of The Rings)
    http://www.bytekill.net

Iam trying to ping ip addys from my linux machine i havent even tryed anything behind it yet, just want to get a connection to the internet with the linux machine first... Sooo this is exactly what is happining just with my LINUX box (i was reading over my POST and its not very clear)
    1)I try to ping my self 127.0.0.1 that works
    2)I try to ping machines on my LAN that works
    3)I try to ping my ISP DNS server that works
    4)I try to ping my ISP DHCP that works
    5) nslookup www.yahoo.com that works resolves name

1)try to use netscape to surf the net DONT work
    2)try to ping 216.115.102.76 (internet ip addys) DONT work sends- but no reply
    3)