Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Linux network problem??

Try a traceroute out to the Internet and see where it dies.

What is your default route set to on your linux box?

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    Like Invictus said, you have to have a default route out of your machine which seems to be already there if nslookup for yahoo works. Another thing to remember is that after Amazon got blown off the map by DDOS, most major sites turned off ICMP inbound so you can't ping them. Make sure /etc/resolv.conf has the right nameserver IP declarations, domain (your ISP domain here), and search (same domain here). That'll keep DNS happy unless they have busted DNS servers.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

Originally posted here by Vorlin
    Like Invictus said, you have to have a default route out of your machine which seems to be already there if nslookup for yahoo works.
    This is true...however, I have seen some ISP's lately using their gateways as caching for DNS, in which case nslookup would still work, but anything else might not.

What is the netmask of your public IP. Are the IP's that you are able to ping on the same subnet as your ip maybe?

If they are on a [glowpurple]different [/glowpurple] subnet, and you could ping them, but not get anywhere else then I might suggest calling your ISP as it sounds like it might be a routing problem.

Like i said though a traceroute will give you the best idea of where your connection is dying, and will also be useful info for your ISP to troubleshoot the problem

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    Umm, I actually had a problem like this about a week ago. After 30 minutes of playing around with everything, I contacted my ISP. Come to find out, a telco guy accidently cut through the isp's fiber. Took out every outboud connection they had. Could still dial in over copper, but that was about it.

I doubt this is your problem, but I just thought it was kinda funny.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

Antionline Herpetologist
    Something like this happened to ma a while back. I could connect to the net but not surf and stuff. It turned out that I had the firewall set to high security. You're probably not this stupid but check it out the firewall settings anyway. In case you don't know how, try this:
    Login as root.
    type setup
    Then select firewall configuration and set the security to medium.
    Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

Alright guys, this is what is happenin

I looked in my resolv.conf file and it has

"nameserver my isp dns
    nameserver my isp secondary dns
    search localdomain"

And when i run tarcert on www.cnn.com it only has one hop then it dies

Hurraaaaay the linux machine connects to the internet now, it had something to do with the ISP DNS server................ But
    BOooooo i cant get the windows machines to access the internet, is there a configuration i can check on my linux box to make sure it is configured to let my windows machine access the net... Like i said before all the machines can ping each other.. but when i try to ping www.supercars.net and other internet addys it gives me "host not found" (from windows machine) And the windows machine is pointing to the linux eth1 192.168.0.69 as the gateway and for the DNS server i pointed it to the "ISP DNS server...." is there some setting on the linux machine i can try and play with to get my network up and running..... anything

make sure you're not blocking incoming and outgoing packets for the DNS port (port 53 UDP - you don't need TCP unless if you do zone transfers) from the windows machines to the linux gateway. also see if you can ping or telnet into external IP addresses (e.g. POP mail servers) from the windows machines, because if that fails too, then something else is configured incorrectly.

regards,
    mark.
    \'hi, welcome to *****. if you would like to speak to an operator, please hang up now.\'
    * click *

Alright i tryed to "ping ISP DNS Server" +"ping ISP mail server" and i get a request timed out (from windows machine) BY the way when u are talking about letting my firewall allow incoming udp packets --- i configured this by going to "lokkit" and set it like soo

allow dhcp, www, and for "DNS" i put "DNS:53" is that the correct way?
    Is there something else i can check to see if it properly configured to forward packets from my windows machine......

i have never used lokkit so i don't know. i believe it uses ipchains and not iptables which would be slightly better. your linux gateway is probably not forwarding the packets back and forth correctly. what i would suggest is to read iptables / NAT HOWTOs and also rusty's guides available at netfilter.samba.org. its a lot of reading but in the end its all worth it.

regards,
    mark
    \'hi, welcome to *****. if you would like to speak to an operator, please hang up now.\'
    * click *