Thread: Question about Microsoft Development Network

Question about Microsoft Development Network

A friend/coworker of my cousin just gave us what I'm assuming is an older MSDN subscription kit today,circa 1999, (supposedly this guy is a crazy programmer). I've already installed the Visual Studio 6.0 and MSDN developer network library on my computer. I KNOW this is like a $2000 kit (it's like 20 CD's), so my question to anyone with experience with this is, what exactly can I do with it? ( From what I gather it is the full VBasic and VC++ suite, but there's also stuff about a platform development kit for WinCE (programming for a PDA maybe?). And MSOffice Premium (which I already have anyways) I guess this is a sign from the gods that I need to learn some REAL programming...(although know matter WHAT anyone thinks, QBasic is GREAT ) So what exactly have I got here, am I sitting on a goldmine?
    - T3|\\|9U () -

The full Visual Studio Kit with MSDN should be six discs.

With Visual Studio you get Visual Interdev wich is *the* IDE to develop ASP and webpages in. Anyone claiming to use dreamweaver or frontpage isn't a proffessional, don't know what they're doing or can't handle Visual Interdev.

You get Visual FoxPro which I personally know nothing about. It seems to be some sort of cross-over language with one part SQL and one part COBOL or someting. I never knew anyone that actually used it but I hear there are people that do FoxPro in the states.

You get Visual C++ which is quite cool but is nothing like ANSI C++. The IDE looks sort of retarded too.

You get J++, Microsofts own super-lame implementation of Java. It even comes with its very own super-lame properitary virtual machine. Microsoft Virtual Machine, as opposed to Java Virtual Machine. Wee!

You get Visual Basic which probably is the best IDE in the package. Visual Basic isn't hard to learn and with any previous knowledge you should be able to whip up a calculator or something in a matter of minutes. Just drag and drop, man.

I'd install everything except J++ and Foxpro and fiddle around. Don't just install all SDKs that came with your kit, as it is fairly old. Some of it might break stuff on your computer. Read on the discs first and compare versions with the stuff you already have installed.

Oh, and make sure to Install Service pack 5 for Visual Studio

Hope this helps.
    Mankan

\"The purpose of abstraction is not to be vague, but to create a new semantic level in which one can be absolutely precise.\"
    - Edsger Dijkstra

Thanx, that helps me alot.
    - T3|\\|9U () -