Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning Infected Outlook Express Messages

Cleaning Infected Outlook Express Messages

Hello everyone,

My system was affected with some virus lately which made my Norton Antivirus also to crash. Then i backed up files and reloaded everything. When i scanned the backed up files using Norton AV it showed infections and some of them could not be removed. I had W32.Klez and W32.Badtrans.B@mm in the infections. I used the removal tools for cleaning those infected files. Then i restored my mails in outlook express which is very important. after that my system has slowed down and i suspect an infection. But Norton AV with the latest definitions dosent show any infections.

How will i make sure no virus is present. My main problem is does NAV or the virus removal tools remove virus from the mails. if not is there any possible way to do this.

Please help

Thanks for the support.
    -Joseph

The AV software should be able to remove the virus from your mail. When you scan it should clean any viruses that are found (if you have that option set), if the file can't be cleaned then I usually just delete it. I have never had a problem with a removal tool not working.

As far as the system slowdown, I don't know..... If you're AV defs are up to date then NAV would find a virus. That is as long as it knows about it...

AntiOnline Newbie
    Though the slowdown is not likely caused by files still infected at this point, try one of the online scans.

HouseCall by Trend Micro

Active Scan by Panda

The Panda online scan did recently find an infected attachment in an old message on my computer which Norton never caught in my regular scans. However, it had never activated, as I had apparently planned to hold the attachment for a while until more current virus definitions came out, then apparently had forgotten all about it. But it does show that because they treat attachments differently, scans by the two companies may possibly come up with different things.

Custy_J is right and if you do what Airhead said your rest more comfortably.

norton has the ability to 'sandbox' incoming mail, and scan it for virus before it can affect your system. just make sure the option to check email has been selected. this will however, slowdown the email process.
    you can speed things up by turning 'check email' off, and depend on real time protection but your taking more of a risk.

your system could have been optimized for speed before you reinstalled everything. turn off all nonesential processes. if its win2k disable server and anything else that's not necessary for what you doing. stop foolish quick start items, stop msoffice from starting on load, you can start it manually when you need it and stop fastfind your computer can find things fast enough with out it.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Norton AntiVirus is no good. When I had an infection, it wouldn't even let me enter windows! Some Norton files could have been corrupted. Download a real antivirus program like McAfee and run a scan in DOS. When you install it, instructions for a DOS scan can be available at www.mcafeehelp.com . A trial copy of McAfee VirusScan can be downloaded at www.nai.com . this should fix your problem and if not, you can get manual removal (deleting files from registry) instructions at www.sarc.com .W32.Klez is known to disable antivirus programs.

Thank you everyone for your replies.

I have Windows 98 as the OS. I have enabled e-mail scanning and it is scanning the new mails. what i wanted was the solution for the existing mails. I'll try out the online scans proposed by Airhead.
    Since my NAV dosent show any virus infections, i dont know whether i should download all the antivirus tools and run them. The problem with me is i'm using a slow dialup link to connect to internet. so i cannot be online for long.

Thanks once more for support. Please let me know any furthet details.
    -Joseph

My home computer is loaded with Win98se, IE5.5 sp2 & OutlookExpress 5.0. The virus definitions in my NAV 7.0(2001) are dated 5/1. In a folder of OE are three attachments -Klez.H.
    My Friday virus scan did *not* pick the evil three up.

Were I to open one of them, the NAV autoprotect would detect them. If your online scan detects a virus in an email attachment, please post back with that information.

Outlook 5.0 has a security hole and especailly for the virus Klez i have to say that it opens the link from where it downloads the virus. Be careful.

AntiOnline Newbie

Antivirus catching infected attachment

Bucket - Whether or not Norton catches an infected attachment may depend upon how it is configured. (I'll probably start another thread asking about details of configuring it after I check up on a few more things.) Norton caught several Klez-infected attachments for me when they came in, as I had email protection on at that time. But it didn't catch the Magistr attachment earlier, because I think I had turned off the email protection temporarily for some reason at the time it came in. And by default, I believe email files aren't scanned in manual scans.

For me the Panda online scan did catch the Magistr attachment, though. I expect it will catch Klez, too.

AntiOnline Newbie
    josephjohnt - I think Tedob1 may well be correct that items in startup might be responsible for your system slowdown. After Norton caught my Klez-infected emails, I discovered that some changes had been made to my system settings. I had to take something back out of startup that I had removed earlier to preserve system resources.

To see if startup items might be a factor, let's try this: Right click the My Computer icon, choose "properties." On the "performance" tab, what are the system resources just after you boot the computer? (This is for Windows 98, the only system I'm familiar with. If you have a different system and can't readily find system resources, I'm sure someone else can help you.)