File Sharing Ethics
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: File Sharing Ethics

File Sharing Ethics

For my first post on this board I would like to ask a question that I asked on another board. I just would like to know your opinions.

If a complete stranger has file and print sharing enabled on their computer, is it illegal for someone else to connect to that person's computer and view their files if no password is enabled and no firewall is installed? After all, that is the whole point of having it on in the first place, right? I mean Windows even comes with a command so that you may link to their shared resources.

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    is it illegal
    Well, this isn't an ethics question, but thats beside the point.
    YES. It is illegal.
    The commands are put in place to use with a LAN, not to someone you don't know. Is it legal for you to walk in my house even though I left the screen door and the main door wide open? The doors can be closed, but they can also remain open. Either way, without my permission, you are breaking the by entering my house.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

Banned
    Yeah, without permission from that person you cannot access their compuet remotely

true, true....... i think it is illegal also, but i wonder way you want to know this? i think you sould keep yourself clean and play nice on the net. Bad net boys go to jail.
    LATER-

Of course its an ethical question. Ethics is the study of something morally right or wrong. When file sharing is enabled you open your computer to the internet. I have yet to see anything anywhere about file sharing having rules. I say if all Windows computer create a "net use" command for entering computers of other people who wish to share files, then it is like giving everyone on Windows a key to share with anyone who has certain shared resources enabled. That "net use" "key" is like permission to enter someone's home because the person on the other end is leaving the door open for them. If the person has the door closed then it would be illegal to enter. Which makes this question debatable I would say.

I kind of agree with Resolution...

In this age of filesharing with Napster Kazaa GNUtella and all the rest, I would not agree to it being illegal.
    The web is a place of sharing information.
    If you don't want to share the information, don't leave it out..
    Windows Shares are like a addvert in the phonebooth stating:

FREE ACCESS TO ALL
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

Even if the door is open you still have no right to enter the house. Same goes with any idiot who leaves their keys in their car, you have no right to steal the car. If it's an ethical question then simply put, it's unethical to trespass on someone else's property whether you share a common link or not. That would be like you having the right to walk into your neighbor's house any time the front door is open, just because you share the same street.....
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    Resolution> It is not an ethical question. You did not say "Is it ethical..." you said, "Is it legal?" I don't think it is unethical for a 20 year old person to drink, but the government says it is illegal. There is a big difference between ethics and law.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

Wrong, if I leave my door open, I have still not given you explicate permission to enter my house. If I leave my golf clubs on my deck, I have not given you explicate permission to take them. If (by mistake or the lack of knowledge) I open up file sharing on my computer, I still have not given you (or anyone else) explicate permission to enter my computer. If you do, it is ethically and morally wrong as you are doing something, which I have not granted you permission to do. It's just that simple.

DjM
    DjM

Yes, if someone steals the keys from a person's car to enter their house then that would be illegal. Windows, however, hands everyone the key to the house. Not just that one person who's computer is open. Its like everyone having access cards to a computer lab. Its not breaking and entering if your given the "key" to enter.